The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A new 50mm lens showed up at CP+2024? Anyone can explain it more?

Orien Brown

I recently wanted to bring a 50mm lens to my collection for its similarity to the view we can see with our eyes.

With the focus on the CP+ 2024 in Japan, I caught a glimpse of this 50mm lens from a new brand on Twitter and Google.

Somebody said it is a collapsible lens emulating the design of a lens of the 1940s.

Could anyone share your experience in using a collapsible lens? Does this kind of lens come with some inconvenient applications?

1709090411162.png
source: https://photorumors.com/2024/02/27/new-thypoch-eureka-50mm-f-2-lens-for-leica-m-mount-coming-soon/

pegelli

These type of collapsible lenses have been produced by Leica since the early 1930's and later copied by others (Russian/Voigtländer/.....). Leica examples are the Elmar 50/3.5, 50/2.8 and 90/4, Summar- Summitar- and Summicron 50/2

The convenient part is that when collapsed the camera/lens combo becomes smaller and might even fit in your coat pocket (depending on the pocket size)

The inconvenient part is that you must not forget to fully extend and lock the lens when using it. Especially when using it on a rangefinder camera your viewfinder will not show that the lens is not (or not fully) extended.

I have three collapsible lenses (two original Leica and one Voigtländer) and they all work fine (both optically as well as mechanically)

Looking at the photo you posted it looks like another clone of the Leica 50/2 variants I mentioned above.

JoelM

I was under the impression that while it resembles the collapsible lenses, this one does not collapse and is fixed. Sadly :(

pegelli

Looking at these pictures I'd say the lens is collapsible:

It even has a deeper rear lens cap that fits when the lens is fully collapsed.

Godfrey

Somebody said it is a collapsible lens emulating the design of a lens of the 1940s.

Could anyone share your experience in using a collapsible lens? Does this kind of lens come with some inconvenient applications?
source: https://photorumors.com/2024/02/27/new-thypoch-eureka-50mm-f-2-lens-for-leica-m-mount-coming-soon/
It should be mentioned that you must take care when using a collapsible lens that there is enough clearance in the body of whatever camera you are using for the lens to collapse without mechanical interference with parts of the body. On the elderly film Leicas (and others) that these lenses were popular with, the body of the camera is mostly empty from the lens mounting flange to the shutter curtains, but this is not the case with some later model film models as well as digital bodies.

I have a lovely Elmar 50mm f/3.5 collapsible lens ... I fit it with an LTM to M-mount adapter and use it happily on my Leica M4-2 body, collapse it when I want the camera to be as compact as possible. But, collapsed, it would interfere with the swinging CdS meter arm in my Leica CL (film) and I do not know if there is sufficient clearance in the M10-M or M10-R bodies to collapse it on those bodies without damaging shutter, sensor, or other parts of the cameras' interiors. So, when I use it on those bodies, I put a piece of thick tape around the extended lens barrel to prevent myself from forgetting and collapsing it with potentially disastrous results. Fully collapsed, the lens barrel and its internal rangefinder flange protrudes 15mm past the lens mounting ring and is about 29mm in diameter ... I'd have to do some 3D modeling of the interior of my M10 bodies to assess whether it can safely be collapsed when fitted to them. (Frankly, I doubt it...)

A well-presented, new lens of this type should include compatibility information as to what bodies it can be collapsed safely on. Do not make assumptions.

G

Orien Brown

It should be mentioned that you must take care when using a collapsible lens that there is enough clearance in the body of whatever camera you are using for the lens to collapse without mechanical interference with parts of the body. On the elderly film Leicas (and others) that these lenses were popular with, the body of the camera is mostly empty from the lens mounting flange to the shutter curtains, but this is not the case with some later model film models as well as digital bodies.

I have a lovely Elmar 50mm f/3.5 collapsible lens ... I fit it with an LTM to M-mount adapter and use it happily on my Leica M4-2 body, collapse it when I want the camera to be as compact as possible. But, collapsed, it would interfere with the swinging CdS meter arm in my Leica CL (film) and I do not know if there is sufficient clearance in the M10-M or M10-R bodies to collapse it on those bodies without damaging shutter, sensor, or other parts of the cameras' interiors. So, when I use it on those bodies, I put a piece of thick tape around the extended lens barrel to prevent myself from forgetting and collapsing it with potentially disastrous results. Fully collapsed, the lens barrel and its internal rangefinder flange protrudes 15mm past the lens mounting ring and is about 29mm in diameter ... I'd have to do some 3D modeling of the interior of my M10 bodies to assess whether it can safely be collapsed when fitted to them. (Frankly, I doubt it...)

A well-presented, new lens of this type should include compatibility information as to what bodies it can be collapsed safely on. Do not make assumptions.

G
Wow, thank you for your detailed information. I really need to consider the compatibility if I consider buying one!