The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. M

The Review the world has been waiting for ...

Lots of good information, but some controversial, too. "Only a fool uses discount lenses like Voigtländer on an M 240" "...it would be foolish to use it with anything other than the finest lenses [he means Leica vs. competition here], without which you'll only get half the quality for which you...
  2. M

Good Photoshop retouching books?

Books and videos by Katrin Eismann.
  3. M

Oversaturated reds in polymer fabrics - ACR vs. C1

According to this description, the DCP profiles don't seem to be technically inferior to ICC for digital camera profiling.
  4. M

Oversaturated reds in polymer fabrics - ACR vs. C1

If you happen to have access to ColorChecker charts or ColorChecker Passport, you could try making your own profile in Adobe DNG Profile Editor. The software is free for download from Adobe, the chart costs $60+. The profiles can sometimes make significant difference in these colors and the...
  5. M

Compressed VS Uncompressed DNGs - A quick test

Thank you. Yes, I get that. That's why I was talking about the posterization. Less values in extreme gradients could cause visible steps and it apparently does happen in 8 bit. ProPhoto is more than 2x larger than AdobeRGB, so the chances are higher.
  6. M

Yes, I think I am missing this. Would you mind giving an example?
  7. M

Do you have any tips on types of images or situations where this could be a problem? I hear about this often, but I was never able to reproduce any banding/posterization issues coming from the fact that ProPhoto has large gamut. If there are, I would like to be able to demo it the same way I...
  8. M

Not sure about the greater accuracy. In my view, it is a way to avoid premature clipping of colors. CRT monitors had approximately gamut of sRGB and it did not prevent prepress studios from working in AdobeRGB even though their printing mistakes would have been very expensive, compared to...
  9. M

I think the differences are very small, but they all contribute. If I use lossy compression and clip colors and use cheap paper for printing and skimp on display and do not calibrate and use cheap filters...
  10. M

Probably depends on the printer. I have some profiles for low gamut Epson papers for 3880 here and when I compare them with AdobeRGB, none of them fit inside. There are usually blues and yellows that stick out, but with same papers also greens and reds. I posted an example earlier in this thread.
  11. M

No, I did not. I did not comment on it because I don't have the knowledge to comment. I have never seen posterization with 16bit ProPhoto. Some people claim it exists though and I am not going to say it does not exist.
  12. M

Some people said they had visible loss of detail in busy areas of their images, so you may want to do some test on subjects that have lots of color detail. I used uncompressed with M9, because it is safer and does not cost anything.
  13. M

These diagrams are reaction to a post suggesting that using ProPhoto RGB can lead to data loss. I wanted to demonstrate that actually using AdobeRGB leads to data loss. There are clearly colors outside of AdobeRGB in a trivial shot of a tree that must be remapped. With regards to your...
  14. M

Your shots look like there is no difference. But document on a Leica site says "choice of uncompressed or slightly compressed (by non-linear reduction of color depth)" - go to Leica Camera AG - Photography - M9 & M9-P and click on the Technical Data link. Non linear reduction of color depth...
  15. M

Is the AdobeRGB really big enough for you? The following diagrams show pixels from a picture of an ordinary tree with green leaves plotted into the CIE chromaticity "horseshoe". The three triangles are gamuts of sRGB, AdobeRGB and ProPhoto RGB. One diagram is exported as ProPhoto and one as...
  16. M

Inkjet printers like the popular Epson 3880 definitely have gamut with colors that extend beyond AdobeRGB. In the diagram below, the color polygon is AdobeRGB and the white is a printer profile for luster paper for 3880. There are printers with even larger gamut so it makes sense to use color...
  17. M

Sony A7 & A7R Field Test Video

Again? The Augusta Chronicle
  18. M

step from M9 to M type240 - your experience?

The camera is not that much fatter, it is the protruding thumb rest, that makes most of the difference. Actually, I think they did a great job keeping the size almost the same with larger LCD, twice as big battery, new buttons and scrollers, microphone etc... Yes, it is heavier, but I can hold...
  19. M

step from M9 to M type240 - your experience?

Yes, it was, but I am not a typical rangefinder user and possibly appreciate the improvements in electronics more than many Leica aficionados. - Better review (faster, better quality) - Better focusing (LV, better rangefinder) - Better battery life (if they fix the battery drain problem) - More...
  20. M

Shallow DOF vs "deeper" DOF

Or sometimes an expensive one :)