The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. D

Really, Really Struggling with Focusing Manually - A7RII

And dial up sharpness/contrast as well. I find focus peaking works better at medium level. But I don't trust focus peaking with most lenses (some go in/out of focus rapidly and i can be fairly accurate with focus peaking by going back and forth to find the actual peak). I punch in via...
  2. D

Sorry, but I just don’t get it - a bit of a rant

I love my A7RII but there are a LOT of things that could be improved. Sony product planners / product managers could just look at the competition and copy best practices as a start. I suggest they start with a breakdown of the Ricoh GR UX/UI and pick up some ideas there - just got that camera...
  3. D

Lightweight and/or compact 135mm for A7R

The OM 135/3.5 can be had for cheap. I got one in like new condition and the original case from KEH for $65. I just sold it on FM for $55 - lens was good on an A7RII even wide open (with a bump in contrast at f5.6) but I just didn't get along with 135mm and decided to use the FE 70-200 in that...
  4. D

Sony A7II Body and Mack 2 yr warranty

Bought in used like new condition from Adorama in Jan 2015 for $1589. I also bought and registered a Mack U233 warranty which covers parts and labor (no accidental damage coverage) for 2 years for $79. If the Mack warranty is not transferable, I'll be around to help the buyer with any warranty...
  5. D

New lens lineup for the A7rII

Hi JM - welcome! I'm fairly new here and have learned a lot from and been inspired by the forum. That is a great starting lineup and I applaud your thoughtfulness in slowly acquiring gear - I hope to learn to do so myself. Or at least get better at selling, I've got buying down pretty well.
  6. D

If anyone in USA is looking for A7R II in stock...

Kenmore Camera here in Seattle shows in stock on their website right now
  7. D

New lens lineup for the A7rII

I'll probably converge on one body and one system with the A7RII (getting rid of m4/3 and probably sell both A7II and A7S). I may wait and see what the A7SII will be, though I doubt I'll hold out for more than a few months... So probably will do (have all these except Batis 25): FE 16-35/4 and...
  8. D

US 20010053617 A1

Thought my days of worrying about air travel with a camera ended with the transition to digital!
  9. D

New Sony A7RII announcement

I'm in too. This is great. What a great time to be a photographer.
  10. D

90mm on A7r

I am very happy with the Summarit 90/2.5 on A7,A7s,A7II. I may sell after getting the Batis and just stuck with my decent OM 100/2.8 for a manual focus option in this focal length or look at other cheaper alternatives. DSC02705 by DarrellC, on Flickr DSC03313 by DarrellC, on Flickr DSC02111...
  11. D

Video - who's dabbling?

I do video with both A7s/A7II and a GH4/GM5. Mostly run and gun video of my kids. Panasonic is infinitely better in terms of ergonomics and speed of workflow around video than the A7s, and internal 4K is great, but you cannot deny the A7s high ISO advantage - which is greater in video than...
  12. D

Sony Zeiss FE 35mm F1.4 ZA

Love the b&w pic of the back of the person seated in the window.
  13. D

Loxia 35mm

My Loxia 35 overshoots infinity a bit. Somewhere, I saw a quote from Zeiss that they designed it that way to ensure achievable infinity focus across the varied A7 series bodies. Having had the A7, A7s and A7m2, each with very different fit across the same lenses, perhaps that is wise. The A7m2...
  14. D

28mm F2 : first sample pictures

Another review with positive things to say - some tests and impressions along with the corresponding sample pics. background blur
  15. D

Sony travel the world kit

Loxia 35 impression after a couple hundred casual shots - gorgeous color, great MF experience on A7 bodies, like click less aperture as I do video, not so perfect wide open, improves stopped down a stop or two. It is no RX1 Sonnar wide open but lovely to my eye at f/4. I like it much more than...
  16. D

Sony travel the world kit

Just got back from a ten day trip. I took: A7ii A7s FE 16-35 FE 35/2.8 FE 55/1.8 Loxia 35/2 M4/3 for tele, backup and small camera for casual stuff GM5 15/1.7 45/1.8 35-100/4-5.6 (the tiny one) I could travel the world with A7s/a7ii, FE 16-35, FE 35/1.4, FE 55 and FE 85(?). Or with Loxia...
  17. D

Lens mount backlash

My A7 did the same, the A7s mount was too tight, A7ii is just right. Guess they're figuring it out as they go along...
  18. D

Official pic of the new FE lenses

FE 35/1.4 has aperture ring and switch to make it clickless - great for video so you can have silent and continuous (vs. stepped - bad for video) aperture changes. Looks like FE 35 1.4 takes 72mm filters, so same filter size as FE 16-35.
  19. D

Official pic of the new FE lenses

Any word on weight of the FE 35/1.4? I'm selling a VC 35/1.2 at 471g, hoping to swap out for a much better under f/2 FE 35/1.4 at same or less weight and I just bought ryc's Loxia 35 for a smaller manual 35 solution to pair with it (probably sell FE 35/2.8 and RX1 once I have the Loxia/FE 35 pair).
  20. D

what sony to get next? or non-sony?

I have a 2 and 5 yr old and have been thru a bunch of cams after leaving a 5D2 I shot with for 3 yrs and started churning cameras. If AF acquisition speed in low light is your primary concern then one of the m4/3 cameras with -4EV AF is a great option. Tracking sucks but single AF is so good you...