The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. P

Sony A1 powerhouse

Thanks K-H. Time is not a problem fortunately. Not going anywhere for a while, but feel tempted to go down to shoot the eagles around the dam in Maryland. They usually start April I am told. Probably will go down there mid-April. Would be exciting to see how good the bird-eye AF is.
  2. P

Sony A1 powerhouse

I have been waiting for something like this for a long while now. An a7rIV with specs that equal or beat the a9 series. I bought the rIV for the resolution but was disappointed with the high ISO performance as most of my wildlife photos are taken in low light. Plus of course the huge issue with...
  3. P

A7 RIV- remote focusing? Tethering?

I've successfully used the a7r4 for slide digitization. I set up the macro lens with a light source in front, put the slide into the holder and use Imaging Edge to focus and do all the other adjustments on my computer. Focus actually is more precise using AF than manually and is very fast. You...
  4. P

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

Well, the competition never rests, does it? Canon now comes out with the 1DX3, with an updated sensor that is supposed to be much improved esp with regards to AF and low ISO, also capable of 20fps shooting in live view...
  5. P

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

Yes, the a9 is truly revolutionary, don't know about the MkII being much better though.I suspect the next generation will be significantly improved in terms of AF - although I don't know how much more they can do. I am now in the happy situation of owning the a9 and the a7r4, both being the...
  6. P

Tamron FE Plans

Tre, is that global FF or only in the mirrorless world?
  7. P

Tamron FE Plans

For all of us Sony users, this is welcome news. The more competition there is, the more choices we have and the product keeps getting better. Remember the frustration from only a few years ago when there were just a few lenses. The good thing even then was the ability to use 3rd party stuff with...
  8. P

Sony 600mm f4 GM First Impressions

Yes, that is true. Perhaps the 200-600 then.
  9. P

Yes, that will be an interesting exercise. Several of my close photo buddies are Nikon shooters and swear by everything Nikon. I've never had a Nikon system, but did not believe it would be a lot better than the Canon 1DX2 which I owned and used in the field quite a bit. For me, the a9 is...
  10. P

Doug, for you, the 200-600 may be a great option when you are hiking. I've not tried it myself, but although bigger than the 100-400, it is said to be much easier to hand-hold for a long time and is definitely smaller and lighter than the big 600 prime. Having said that, most people who hike...
  11. P

New MF considerations when printing large

At the risk of causing thread drift :) I was always a Canon fan having used their cameras for years, so naturally had a Canon printer for my large prints - at the time maximum of 13X19. I was extremely frustrated at the lack of color fidelity with 3rd party media, the colors changing over time...
  12. P

Joe, I too found it frustrating to run Fusion for this, but it was worth all the trouble simply because of the excellent prints that it produced and the ease of layouts etc. Mike Chaney was kind enough to involve me in the beta testing of the Mac product, it is called QImage One. He partnered...
  13. P

I am sure this has been discussed here before, but one very inexpensive piece of software that upscales automatically for you and produces IMHO the best results is QImage. It is now available for Mac as well, which is great news for all of us who've been running Windows in a shell just for this...
  14. P

Query regarding value. Taking first steps into Digital Medium Format.

Absolutely, just as there is about Leica gear. In the end it is a perceived notion, simply because it is out of the reach of most mortals. When I was growing up in India, traveling to the 'mother country', UK for 'advanced studies' was indeed a very romantic notion. However, like so many such...
  15. P

I love printing large and have a 44" printer at home. In the past I've used the Phase-1 and the Pentax 645Z MF cameras but now only have FF bodies, my current ones being the Sony a9 and the a7R3. Everything depends upon the normal viewing distance and of course your desire to come even...
  16. P

I have only had it for a few days, and just used once so far. I am barely 5'5" and not muscular at all, so it is going to be hard for me any way. However, compared to say the Canon 600 MkII and the 1DX2 combo which I did use for a while in the past, it is much easier. The heft seems less...
  17. P

Thanks K-H. Hi Doug, it was the a9. I have an a7r4 on order and can't wait to try that one out. I can imagine how one could use the 600 with 2x on the a7r4 and then crop deeply into the image to get even more reach. Great for birds and even larger animals that are far away.
  18. P

Thanks guys. Barry, you are absolutely correct. The images are indeed in that order, the 1200mm shot (lens pous 2x TC) is the first, the 840mm (lens plus 1.4x TC) second and finally the 600mm. The vignetting was not noticeable on my screen, but the light was changing as the sun was going in and...
  19. P

I never got to use my 400 2.8 and traded it in for a 600 f4, which I received last week. This is one amazing lens. The weight is less than what I expected, though still more than what I can casually walk around with. However, I can definitely hand hold it for a few minutes. It focuses quickly...
  20. P

Sony FE 400mm F2.8 GM OSS lens, LNIB $10,999

Looks like the Sony lens is not as popular as I thought it would be. withdrawing the item, have returned it to my dealer for trade-in for a 600mm f4 that is coming next month.