The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. H

Telezoom dilemma

After having bought (and used) pretty well all of the lenses mentioned here, I now am going on a trip with two bodies and the Panasonic 12-60/2.8-4 and 50-200/2.8-4 as my mid to longer lenses, with the Panasonic 15/1.7 and Olympus 45/1.8 as my faster small lenses. For wide views I have the Laowa...
  2. H

Olympus 150-400 Lens

A 400/4 needs an entrance pupil of 100mm; doesn't matter what format. A front filter would therefore have a minimum size of 105mm. A f/4.5 lens would still need an 89mm front element, and at minimum a 95mm filter. If this is a Pro lens with associated quality and build, putting it in the same...
  3. H

Olympus 150-400 Lens

Unfortunately, I feel that the price might be $7-8000 US or even $10,000. Look at Canon and Nikon zooms that go to 400mm at f/4. At the same actual focal lengths and apertures, there is no advantage to m43. Also, with 400mm at f/4, front element size has to be 100mm. It will be huge, heavy and...
  4. H

Shift lenses for Leica M (240)

I have a Canon 35/2.8 TS for FD mount that works well, and is good optically. It was (and is) way better than the Nikon 35PC, Minolta 35 and Olympus 35. In fact, optically it's pretty close to the Zeiss, and it has a larger image circle. I bought it in the early 70's and had it converted to...
  5. H

F1.2 - the fast lane

I now have a number of the Olympus Pro lenses, and while all are very good optically and mechanically, they are also all very large. The 7-14/2.8 is huge, and therefore is now supplanted by the 7.5mm f/2 Laowa for most of my shooting. I use the 12-100/4 a lot, but that lens is also as large as a...
  6. H

PANALEICA DG 100-400mm / F4.0-6.3

I also use the 40-150 a lot with the TC, and think it is one of the best ways to get to 400mm efl. It's just that I do see a drop with the TC, and the 100-400 is truly outstanding in this range and thus tops it. Please note that these statements reflect what I've seen in my copies, just as what...
  7. H

I've had this lens for over 6 months now and am quite used to it. I've used it only on Olympus bodies: E-M5 MkII, E-M1 MkI and MkII. For ergonomic reasons the E-M1 bodies are better, but the E-M5 works, albeit a bit slower. While the optical quality in general is very good, it definitely falls...
  8. H

I think it's very close to the 40-150/2.8 in size, and would complement that lens well.
  9. H

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

Actually, I thought that in that particular group of products the SL came out looking very good. I was looking at RAW output only, as the jpegs are uninteresting to me and I would never use them. The Leica Q output looked essentially the same as that of the SL (surprise, surprise!) while the...
  10. H

Yes we are, but once we have the evidence from shots on sensors, that becomes irrelevant. Look at the output, and judge on that basis.
  11. H

This is exactly the same as my experience. I was quite unhappy with the performance of my 75 Summicron on the A7rII, and much happier with that of the Summilux. In fact, I thought my Summicron must be faulty until I checked it again on the camera it was meant for , the M. Similarly, the 90...
  12. H

Strange double image a7rII w Leica APO 50

I would have guessed a filter issue. Did you use a filter? I've seen exactly this with a filter which had the front and back planes not perfectly parallel. This used to happen on filters from the 70's and earlier very frequently, with Tiffen and Harrison&Harrison having hardly any perfectly...
  13. H

schneider 28mm 2,8 pc super angulon...opinion needed

I have the Canon 17 & 24vII as well as the old FD 35 TS, and had a chance at a Leica version 28PC recently. I had hoped to use it on my Leica M240, but even though the price was good ( about $1K) decided to not take it as it didn't measure up to the Canon lenses. It was definitely better than...
  14. H

Olympus Air

My bad. You're quite right, of course. My mind was on the OM 50 macro; a whole different beast.
  15. H

Olympus Air

The 50/2 is an excellent lens, but it is not autofocus, and that makes a lot of difference when you're trying to digitise hundreds of negs or transparencies. The singular advantage that m43 has over full frome, and why I generally do not use full frame for digitising, is the matter of autofocus...
  16. H

Olympus Air

I use two different setups that I've had for a while. Once is a wall mounted copy stand (Bencher) that has a variable height table and camera holder. It also has arms for lights, and you can take out the table surface for very large stuff on the floor. For transparencies or negatives I put a...
  17. H

Olympus Air

It may not have IBIS, but it does have stabilisation. Sort of. Digital stabilisation. I'm thinking of using it as a copy camera for digitising slides and negs of 35mm and larger formats. m43 is ideal for that because you can use autofocus, and for most purposes m43 has sufficient quality. My...
  18. H

What to make of the new Leica slim M?

The leicarumours site mentions a fixed lens camera, not an ILC. That rather changes the whole thing and becomes a lot less interesting. On slimming down the M's; why not just continue doing what they've already started - projecting the lens mount further from the body. Yes, the total depth of...
  19. H

Upcoming A7rII

With respect to optical stabilization vs. IBIS, optical requires movement of lens groups. This makes optical quality optimization much more difficult; the faster the lens and the shorter the focal length, the greater the problems. IBIS is free of those problems. Its main problem is keeping the...
  20. H

what needs to be done? zeiss hologon

I have a Leica Hologon which I bought in the 70's. It's 15mm but otherwise very similar to the Contax one. I can take pictures with it on the Monochrom, but the steep incident angle in the corners means there is extremely strong vignetting. As Godfrey said: get the VC 15mm/4.5 v.3. Optically...