The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. W

Sony SAL 24-70/2.8 SSM II Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* on A7(RII)

I use the first version of this lens on the r2 (with the la-ea3). it works very well. there is the 'problem' of extreme corner performance of this lens @24mm, as it has on all full frame bodies. the AF is very reasonable, although in low light it becomes somewhat less (less accurate, slower)...
  2. W

A7RII Custom Buttons and Function settings

found this recently: Turns out that the a7R II is the first camera in the alpha line that has a somewhat buried, hidden ability to turn off the rear LCD and only have the EVF on, which will save battery life. This wasn’t immediately apparent and when I brought up my concern to Sony...
  3. W

A7RII DxOmarked

Dual conversion gain in the sensor. Jim Kasson linked, a while back, after his own measurements had shown comparable results, to this solution. At iso 640 and above, the conversion gain is changed, improving the dynamic range by approximately 1 stop. Same solution is used in the a7s, although...
  4. W

Seeing any Posterization issues with A7r ll?

It is somewhat surprising that Lloyd does apparently not have to explain himself. a lot of things he does not like are blamed on 'cooked' RAW files, which apparently means the compression algorithm. And as far as I know without really understanding the basic thinking behind the compression. the...
  5. W

16-35mm Inconsistent edge performance from shot to shot

I see the same thing with my 16-35 f4. mostly at 16mm. when not using OSS I does not happens or it is so much less I do not notice it anymore. using f11 seems to mostly solve this, but is not always convenient and needs more sharpening. My theory is that it is caused by OSS, decentering the lens...
  6. W

A7rII Sony A Mount. Include Sigma, Tamron, Minolta

Have tried the mark 1 24-70 f2.8 ZA with the LA-EA3, and it works fine, using PDAF. it might be a bit slower, compared to using it on the a99 (depending on the light), but it also seems more accurate. 70mm @ f2.8 gives an almost 100% hit rate (tried af-s with the small flexible focus point, so...
  7. W

Seeing any Posterization issues with A7r ll?

My understanding is that the question is whether what is seen in the file form Lloyd is due to the Sony compression or not (or maybe it is not, and I just misunderstood). I am sure the red channel really is without information in the RAW file. The problem in blaming this on the compression, is...
  8. W

Sony NEX vs A7 - Is it just me?

never tried the A7, but used the a99 a lot (comparable sensor). recognize what you see. It is not that the nex-7 is better, but the ff is not any better, at least not in the final print. sold my a99 and are having fun with my nex-7 again. thought for a while indeed there was more richness in the...
  9. W

Shutter Vibration

This problem is not unique to Sony. in general an electronic first curtain is a blessing when working on a tripod. The d800 has a lot more mass to absorb shutter vibration, but I expect when used at say 1/30th in portrait orientation, there will some softness as well. in my experience, portrait...
  10. W

Voigtlander Adapter with WATE on A7?

Forgive me if I am asking something stupid, but I read this thread an wonder what other people are doing with pictures. I work with an a99 and a ZA16-35 wide angle zoom. I am very happy with this combination and usually print at least 50x75 (cm). when I then see the result of the WATE on the...
  11. W

Fun with the RX-1

The glass gets very close to the sensor. this does however not mean, just like with the sigma dp1 and dp2, that the exit pupil, in optical sense, is close to the sensor. My impression was that these lenses are build this way, close to the sensor, almost covering it, to delivers parallel rays of...
  12. W

Fun with the A99!

I have my a99 now for close to two weeks, and I love it. I used an a900 before (and a NEX-7). The EVF is something I like most of the time and the hinging LCD is great. It is very useful on a tripod, especially when working low. Having iso 50 is very nice. very clean files that can handle an...
  13. W

24MP sensor and 24mm Zeiss lens combo question

The 24mm shows both some field curvature and some focus shift. For landscape use this means that the outer edges and corners tend to be out of focus, for example when stopping down to f5.6. One solution, with AF, is focusing at the extreme right or left edge. Doing this makes it a great...
  14. W

The E 16mm goodness

I am interested in those sigma primes as well. Another Sigma lens that does really well on the NEX-7 is the 17-50 f2.8. This lens has os, which is very welcome. It has some focus shift at the wide end and some field curvature. When these imperfections are taken into account when focusing, it is...
  15. W

The E 16mm goodness

I have two copies of the lens. Both copies behave the same and are very reasonable. As already stated, it depends on what you expect. I have also used one with the 0.75 converter and even that is not bad. It is only the extreme corners that can be soft. Actually a very nice characteristic of...
  16. W

NEX-7 problem with CZ85

I do not think it is a not existing problem. I also think it is not such a big deal as suggested on some places. But I do see, for myself, that the CZ85mm f1.4 performs better, edges and corners, on the 5n as it does on the 7. I also think the 7 is a brilliant little camera, but it is a pity...
  17. W

NEX-7 problem with CZ85

If you look at page 12 of this paper, it is explicitly mentioned that Leica uses thin glass to make the M digital work with rangefinder lenses (in this case the biogon design). http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/en_CLB41_Nasse_LensNames_Distagon.pdf
  18. W

NEX-7 problem with CZ85

Lloyd Chambers suggest that a thick cover glass is the problem with the NEX-7. This would concur with what Zeis is saying about the use of certain lenses on digital (cover glass/filter interferes with edge performance of certain lenses). http://diglloyd.com/...ro1-sensor.html
  19. W

Landscape Lenses

For wide angel, I think the Sigma 8-16 to be very good. 8mm is already nice, but at 12 it is a really great landscape lens. corner to corner sharpness. and even f11, with some extra sharpening, is very usable. another wide zoom I tried is the Tokina 11-16. My copy was a bit of a disappointment...
  20. W

Lens experience with Sony Nex-5 and Nex-7

if you want to go really wide, there is always the sigma 8-16, here at 8mm. The lens is a bit big, not very sexy, but has good manual focus and performs great on a nex-7.