The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. L

Why do they do it this way? Sony and their intro prices.

Nicely summed up by Kirk Tuck, for those like yourself: The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: The "Meh" factor. Or why X is a "deal killer for me."
  2. L

PENTAX FF - Spring 2016

This might be news to you but every company is "about profit". In terms of what is defined as pro level or not, well that is up to the pro to determine. If a pro chooses to use an A7RII and achieves his desired outcome, then this makes his choice pro level.
  3. L

G Master lenses - 24-70mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.4 & 70-200mm f/2.8

Perhaps Canon's sensor/electronics tech is lagging but the 4k implementation in their just released behemoth 1DX2 does not impress, being cropped and deplying a grossly inefficient MPEG codec which means that 10 min of 4K video fills a 64gb card. It seems to me that adding 4k that works as well...
  4. L

Not entirely fair comparison. 5Ds may compete with A7R2 on stills but not in terms of video, lacking 4k as well as IBIS.
  5. L

It depends on your point of reference. The Leica 24-90 SL (also designed for mirrorless) is slower, larger, 30% heavier and 2.5x more expensive. DSLR comparisons make Sony's offering look even more svelte. How much does a Canon DSLR with A7Rii resolution and 4K video weigh when paired with a...
  6. L

Two different views on the Leica SL

Perhaps an evil spirit has invaded this thread. Might a Huff Paranormal group session help?
  7. L

Steve Huff is possessed by an Evil Spirit! This explains everything.
  8. L

Lloyd Chambers can be pedantic but he is very astute in his analysis of lenses. It was Lloyd, for example, that uncovered the flare issue with the 50/2.0 APO M lens. "In April, I reported on a damaging flare issue with the Leica 50mm f/2 APO ASPH back in April. As I noted with conviction...
  9. L

Why? I was just pointing out that I have yet to experience a lens from any manufacturer that is immune to sample variation.
  10. L

I have experienced sample variations with every brand I've owned (Nikon, Sony, Pentax, Canon, Minolta, Olympus, Zeiss and Leica). The 24-90 SL lens is also not without issue: http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/20160103_1438-LeicaSL-focusShift-90mm.html...
  11. L

Simplicity comes at a price. The A7rM2 may have more depth in it's menus but in doing so offers a far more capable shooting package for both stills and videos. The AF system in the SL, for example, is very simple. Here's one example: when shooting video, the A7rM2 allows you to set AF...
  12. L

Rx1r2

My FE35 (shot on A7RII) is every bit as sharp as my (now sold) RX1 at equivalent apertures. Like all lenses, sample variation comes into play.
  13. L

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

Pro's must earn seriously big bucks in your nick of the woods. Downunder, you'll be hard pressed to find a pro that can drop $18k on a 24mp kit (SL+24-90) when something like a D810+24-70/2.8 or an A7RII+24-70/4 sell for $5.5k.
  14. L

Lovely Shot. The SL will likely also do well in these scenarios. But I was responding to the point that the SL will compete with pro-level DSLR's. I have yet to see a mirrorless, particularly one with the SL's limitations (i.e. contrast detect AF with no AF or AE at 11fps) compete with a...
  15. L

I can't see how the SL can compete with pro-level DSLR's, unless you're happy to shoot mostly stationary subjects. DSLR's are in a league of their own with respect to shooting sports. I haven't seen a single image from the SL to suggest otherwise. The SL is a mirrorless camera and the...
  16. L

The SL is the sexiest camera Leica have ever made.

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1x-Leica-Red-Logo-Resin-Domed-Decal-Choice-of-Sizes-/250850199670?var=&hash=item3a67d64876:m:mDh6-AVRyXep9g7yzzLH69w
  17. L

I see an SL Edition Hermes in your future :)
  18. L

Frankly, the SL looks a whole lot like an A7II with a red dot and brings to mind this little story by Simon Garfield in Esquire Magazine: "The cult of Leica takes many different forms, but it may be best defined by one anecdote. An absurd story you may safely try at home. A couple of years ago...
  19. L

The Leica Man is never wrong!
  20. L

DPR allows some Leica SL and A7RII comparisons

Leica M8, M9 (x2), M9P. All with issues, except for the last one. The NEX5 is a $300 camera. Seriously ... you expect to compare this with $7000 cameras. The A7RII is an entirely different camera to the A7. Which "current" generation Sony FF's have you owned?