The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. kai.e.g.

Fun with the Ricoh GR III

Long time no see! I was more active here a bit over a decade ago, when the Ricoh discussions lived in the "small sensor cameras" section, with my GRD2. I've since been through the GR, GRII & a little over a week ago my wife presented me with a surprise GRIII as an anniversary gift (I think she...
  2. kai.e.g.

Best announcement at Photokina? Ricoh GR III

I have the RX1R (first edition), and never really warmed to using it. Images are great, of course, but the camera itself doesn't float my boat. It has quirks [the one I hate most is its obsession with selecting 1/80 shutter speed in aperture priority] and ommisions [intervalometer?] that Sony...
  3. kai.e.g.

Best announcement at Photokina? Ricoh GR III

I mainly used the flash, dialled way, way down, as a trigger for a handheld off-camera flash, so losing it isn't the end of the world... though I'm not sure how I'll achieve off camera flash now without buying a new flash as well. A slave in the hotshoe? Then where does the optical viewfinder...
  4. kai.e.g.

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

Thanks, Thorkil! Actually, I've been around awhile... but in those days it was over in the "small sensor camera" forum. Ricoh has grown up!
  5. kai.e.g.

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

Napoleonic army re-enactors march, armed with picnic tables & benches, during festivities surrounding the 206th anniversary of the 1809 Battle of Porcia. Field ploughing, Sedrano Good Friday procession, Urbino (Marche) ***** Flickr seems to degrade images when using these embed-links...
  6. kai.e.g.

FUN with Ricoh GR!!!

Last time I was in this forum, I had just gotten the GRD-2! I see the names of many old forum friends here still. Some photos from the Dolomiti with my new GR... Apart from the GR, another new member of our family. This one's for Maggie O.
  7. kai.e.g.

Soft release for Sony RX1-R?

There's definitely something non-standard about the RX1/R shutter release screw threads. My soft release (Gariz) keeps falling out, too... and anecdotes around the web suggest that it's a fairly common occurrence with many different brands of soft release. These little bits of metal tend to...
  8. kai.e.g.

RX1 Operational Oddities

I agree these are all annoying. Haven't discovered work-arounds (though I'm getting in the habit of using only MF, which means a half-press of the shutter instantly returns from magnified view. That's not relevant in DMF, though) Here's hoping that a future firmware upgrade will enable focus...
  9. kai.e.g.

OM-D EM-5 help needed...

I solved it! That setting for turning the auto-switch EVF on/off when you long-press the EVF button only comes up when you're in shooting mode, and I was only doing it when in playback mode. Switching off auto-eye detect was all that was needed to get playback working in the EVF. All is good...
  10. kai.e.g.

OM-D EM-5 help needed...

Thanks, Don. I think that could be my problem: my camera was set to automatically switch, and in that mode it never shows played-back images in the EVF, even if your eye is up to it. A short press of the button next to the EVF does nothing for me in any mode right now. A long press of that...
  11. kai.e.g.

OM-D EM-5 help needed...

I have an unusable rear LCD screen on my OM-D (it cracked when I took a tumble with it). The camera continues to work fine with just the EVF, of course, but I need to keep using it for at least another couple of weeks for some important up-coming events before I send it away for repair. There...
  12. kai.e.g.

F0.95 really worth it?

That's strange, I just read that review and came away thinking that, yes, this was a "raving review". It is peppered throughout with superlatives, and ends with the words "very highly recommended". I suppose there might be an "extremely highly recommended" category, too, but either way sounds...
  13. kai.e.g.

Photographing your Bokeh

(1) I am super-impressed by the work on display in this thread (2) I am flabbergasted by how long this thread has been going on! This is not multiple choice: both are true :-)
  14. kai.e.g.

X100 images thread...let's get this party started....

Thank-you, Terry! I use a variety of Nik Software products for post processing.
  15. kai.e.g.

It seemed fool-hearty of me to wade knee-deep into the Venetian lagoon today with my new camera as a horse splashed around as close as a couple of metres away from me... but I couldn't help myself! Spiaggia di Brussa by kai.e.g., on Flickr Spiaggia di Brussa by kai.e.g., on Flickr
  16. kai.e.g.

Thanks, Olli & Brian. I'm really loving it so far. I found it became 2nd nature to use in a much shorter time compared to most cameras I've owned since the film age. Cheers, Kai
  17. kai.e.g.

Bought an X100 last week; here are some of my early efforts with it, in Hong Kong: Vendor of Eggs (and one fish) by kai.e.g., on Flickr Hong Kong by kai.e.g., on Flickr Hong Kong by kai.e.g., on Flickr Hong Kong by kai.e.g., on Flickr
  18. kai.e.g.

I thought I might bump into you here eventually, Brian :). My finger has been twitching over the "Buy Now" button on this camera for a few days now! Cheers, Kai (Griffin)
  19. kai.e.g.

This is such a quintessentially Fuji shot, with all that vibrant green. It could have been used as an advertisement for Fuji film at any time during the past several decades. Nice!
  20. kai.e.g.

IMPRESSIVE 4mn fiction plan sequence with GH2+Olympus 9-18mm !

To clarify (because I didn't know and had to look this up myself).... "Plan Sequence: A French term for a long take where many different movements take place in a single shot with no edits." Single take, no edits... now that is impressive!