The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. H

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

Rathausplatz Augsburg, Germany (Sony A65, 35mm SAM 1.8) Model for the statue of Margrave Henry the Illustrious, Meissen, Castle (self portrait included) (Sony R1, still functioning properly)
  2. H

Venice with the Sigma DP1 & DP2 Merrill - user review

Cambiate There are slow movements in Vivaldi’s music which congeal one overall impression but nevertheless maintain some unrest by the repetition of dotted changing notes. The gondolas are pulsating like these cambiate; they are the main disturbing element in this photo which would otherwise be...
  3. H

Fun with the RX-1

Snowland The subject matter of each of these photos appears to be straightforward, but in a way that they are provoking reason to come to the assistance of perception in order to conceptualize what we see, thus completing the images. E.g. the three images may be read as representing respectively...
  4. H

Sony RX100 - getting started

For me too! :) With this photo he plays a true blinder. We see Bier Lane as nature's viewfinder. It seems that this lane has branded his brain and has sent him anew a reminder.
  5. H

A Book Review!

Godfrey, this book review is sympathetic and, as an overview and introduction, decent. But your photos deserve a much closer look. You know what I mean because several times I've tried to come up with a reading. (I have added some to your photos in flickr.) Here, in your new book, every single...
  6. H

Fun with MM DNG - Part 7 - Seascape

not interested in technical questions, just my emotional reaction :) greetings
  7. H

High ISO noise: A55 vs A65 or NEX7 please share your experience

I had the A700 and now have the A65. Looking at the photos at 100 % there seems to be as much noise as before; of course the photos are much bigger now. Shooting almost only raw I avoid more than ISO 1600. For stationary objects you have an ace up your sleeve: multiframe auto iso for jpgs. At...
  8. H

Ricoh GXR - Show your images

Re: Winter Light The location and the subject matter implicitly present a historic contrast: an orchard in what was called the Valley of Heart's Delight, but what now is better known as Silicon Valley. Thus, the photographer makes us play with ideas about the economic development of the...
  9. H

Share Your A77 Images Here

Thanks, Jono. The EVF of the A65/A77 is so good that I usually take it for an OVF except when the white balance is wrong. But Sony have missed the opportunity to position it similarly to the R1, i.e. more to the left side so that your nose is not pressed against the camera. (The Nex-7 will get...
  10. H

Share Your A77 Images Here

Yesterday evening the joint successor of my R1 and my (sold) A700 arrived, the A65. Here are some shots from an early morning walk. It's too early for a résumé, but I can say I already like it a lot. ISO 400 raw AUTO-HDR (jpg) ISO 200 From the the same place, ISO 400, raw, 300mm...
  11. H

Share your best NEX-5N images here

I bought a Nex 5N for my daughter (20), esp. for her two semesters abroad, so I could give it a try. I experienced kind of a new freedom when I used it spontaneously. (A-mode + auto-iso up to 3200, and just get started) A splendid camera for social photography. Auto-hdr is great, and handheld...
  12. H

oops

Re: first pictures The three b/w photos belong to your genuine art of portraying your landscape as "mythical land". Especially the third one with the two trees as a couple outside the community of the other trees and under a dramatic sky full of chimeras develops magic potency. I am glad to see...
  13. H

Street (images thread)

Re: A Different Path A photo from Manhatten taken on a September 11th! What does that mean? As subject matter we see a busy street scene with a rhombic composition: To the walker in the front – on the move, somewhat stoic, and apart from all others "on a different path" – corresponds as a...
  14. H

I hate to be the one bringing you bad news

I'll give a gold star to the first person who can name the building! Well, it's Michelangelo's Laurentian Library (Biblioteca Medicea Laurenziana) in Florence, the Room of the Tribuna di Elci
  15. H

An Open Letter to Leica – what should the Leica M10 be like?

one vs many form vs matter light vs shadow plane vs depth uniformity vs individuality intactness vs brokenness moment vs lifecycle technique vs nature microcosm vs macrocosm realism vs symbolism signifier vs signified outer perceptions vs inner emotions etc. a thought-provoking photo
  16. H

A Lady of The Leland

I only try to reach YOUR level of crazyness.
  17. H

A Lady of The Leland

At your service, madam. My idea: this is Marie Antoinette. She was married in 1770, but had to wait for seven years – a visit of her brother reminded her husband – until her marriage was finally consummated. In this image she expresses her readiness to consummate marriage; her doffed shoes...
  18. H

What is wrong with this shot? [M8]

I don't like fast food, nor blatant luminous advertising, nor the drive-thru culture. But I like this photo. It goes nicely with a number of Jim's other shots which I imagine in an album that could be called "My America" or so. I read the vignetting e.g. as an artistic means to express a...
  19. H

The All New More and More Fun With Digital M Images

Re: The All New More and More Fun w/M9 Images Jono, a great, thought-provoking photo! It put me up to this limerick; hope it works in English. Greetings. Medieval Vision There was once a time when heaven was near, when a cross in the sky was read in God's fear. The church and the graves...
  20. H

Surreal lunch in Istanbul

surreal conversation between dummies "I am like them", a dummy said, "I have a hole to swallow bread." "I disagree, it's clearly me. My scarf is, too, in need of a head."