The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Search results

1. J

Cheap solution to LED problem

I bought a Fancier 500 watt light thinking that it would be sufficient for my portraiture needs. It wasn't. Not enough lumens after pushing the light through some muslin cloth. So I didn't want to buy a 1000 watt light since I had the 500 watt lamp already. So instead I bought another 500...
  2. J

preliminary results d800e

I received the camera from B&H yesterday, everything is as advertised. I tested my 17-35, 55 micro, 105 f/2.5, and my 200 mm Q C. I photographed my living room as it is too cold and wet to go outside. The 200 is sharp at f/5.6, f/8, f/11 and f/16. I strained at 100% to see if maybe...
  3. J

Nikon d800 and 800E price reduction

I did not think it would happen so soon, but Nikon just announced a $200 "instant rebate" on several models. So since it is my birthday today my wife surprised me with "look honey we can save $200 and free shipping, it is your birthday, let's buy it today" Of course she could have been trying...
  4. J

Gallery 1855

In the month of September Ben Rubenstein is exhibiting a collection of his Jerusalem series at Gallery 1855, which is located at 820 Pole Line Road, Davis CA 95618. The open house and reception is on September 9th from 1-4 PM, the gallery is open M-F 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. or by appointment only...
  5. J

Question: wide angle for Nikon

I am going to buy a 20mm lens for my Nikon d700, I am looking at the Voightlander Skopar or the 20mm AI Nikkor both are manual focus which I prefer both are listed at about $400+ so does anyone have any experience with either lens that would indicate which one would be the sharper of the two. I...
  6. J

Medium Format question

I am being offered an adapter that will allow me to put a MF digital back on my Bronica System. The question is; is the Bronica system worth putting a digital back on? I have every lens pretty much made, it served me well as a professional in the '80's as my system of choice. However I really...
  7. J

I am going to be in Sarasota FL

I was wondering if anyone had hot places to photograph there this time of year? I went last year to Winter Park near Christmass and ity was a cool time. Met a bunch of nice people from Orlando. So I was wondering if there were any tips in August. In Sarasota, Any ideas???? Joe
  8. J

Help! Nikon d700

My d700 has become possesed. When I use an AF lens no problems at all, but when I use my MF legacy lenses all of a sudden, the camera has decided that all of them are a f/8 lens at max aperature. I went into menu and made sure that all of the settings were correct for non-cpu lenses. But when...
  9. J

Gallery 1855

For those of us living in Northern California, I run a non-profit gallery , Gallery 1855, at the Davis Cemetery District office, we feature a different artist 10 times a year and feature two different group shows so that each month we have a new show. In May we will be showing Oliver Galgiani...
  10. J

Help:need tripod advice

I have a mature Majestic, I like everything about it, but its weight. I plan to keep it for the 8x10, 4x5 and Bronica days BUT, when I go traveling with the Nikon d700 and my assortment of primes, the largest being 300MM 4lb.I want a platform that is a minumum of 60" to a max of 72" at...