The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Add A Cambo WRS Body To Your XT System For More Shift

Bianca Ranciato

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're a regular on the getDPI forum, you're probably familiar with member Steve Hendrix from Capture Integration.

Here is a repost of his latest article on the compatibility of lenses from the Phase One XT system on Cambo Wide-RS technical cameras!

Totally worth the read. Big thanks to Steve for this awesome article!

--------------------------------------

Read Now : Add A Cambo WRS Body To Your XT System For More Shift

The Phase One XT Camera represents a great innovation for technical camera photography. It features the X Shutter, which provides complete control of the lens shutter and aperture from the rear interface of the IQ4 digital back, which allows even exposure bracketing, and other control features. And complete electronic integration, no cables, no wake up. However, due to its compact size, the XT Camera is limited to 12mm shift in any direction. Meanwhile, Cambo WRS technical cameras have been around for years and offer shift up to 20mm or 25mm.

Dave’s prized #2 65 Anniversary Edition WRS 5000 (Not for Sale!)

The lens interface for the Phase One XT lenses shares the same mount as the Cambo WRS lens interface. Can an XT lens be used on a Cambo WRS technical camera? Yes it can. Considering every lens in the current Rodenstock lineup except the 23HR-S and 32HR-W has extensive shift latitude well beyond 12mm, it seems a shame to not take full advantage of that.

Yes, with the Cambo there’s a cable. But all X Shutter lens operations can be controlled from the IQ4.

Rodenstock 40HR-W/50HR-W/70HR-W/90HR-SW/138HR-SW/180HR-S – all these lenses have more shift latitude than the XT Camera can accommodate.

This goes as well for legacy Schneider lenses, in which lenses from 43mm and beyond will also perform in excess of 12mm shift. And yet, the integration and the compact size and light weight are such strong features of the XT Camera.

So why not add a Cambo WRS/WRC body to your existing XT system? Have photographers ever relied upon only one camera? (rarely) If you already have a Cambo body and would like to modify it to accommodate XT lenses, this is done easily enough, the cost is $528 + shipping. Please contact us and we’ll take care of this process for you.

Cambo’s version of a Happy Meal.

A good example of an image that a Cambo WRS body opens up is the one below, which was taken with a Phase One IQ4 150 digital back on a Cambo WRS 1600 and the Rodenstock 90 HR-SW lens. This lens has a 120mm image circle, and can easily shift in excess of 30mm. The below capture was shifted 20mm. I could not have captured this with the XT camera and the 90mm lens, but having a modified Cambo body for these occasions allows that capture to happen.

Rodenstock 90 HR-SW, 20mm vertical shift.

By Steve Hendrix
Thanks for the read! If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
Steve Hendrix
404.543.8475 | [email protected]

Ray Harrison

I've used a different hybrid approach, but in the same spirit. I bought "standard" Cambo mount lenses with X-Shutter and also tilt/swing (no XT body-based electronics). I remember going back-and-forth with Steve on this and he - very patiently as always - walked me through the pluses and minuses. Yep, I have to use the cable and I don't get the shift data automagically in the metadata, but I appreciate the flexibility. I get aperture control, shot/lens metadata and so forth. Love it.

EDIT: Should add too that I can pick up an XT camera for the compactness if I need it (as I understand it). I've really been thinking about doing that, maybe a CPO body. I obviously won't get to use the XT shutter button and I still have to use the cable, but I still get t/s with my lenses, shot/lens metadata and the like. All awesome.

Last edited: