The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone considered switching to shooting 100% with film?

sixby45

Hi All - just curious if anyone in the forum has switched off of digital for most things and prefers to shoot with film :) Always wondered how many started as hybrid shooters and made the switch.

-Rich

Godfrey

I'd hardly say I've "switched" ... I never stopped shooting with film cameras. For about a dozen years, I worked with digital cameras mostly simply because I was running a photography business and it's much more efficient, and much less time consuming.

I'm shooting a lot with Polaroid cameras right now, they're fulfilling a particular notion for me at the present time but I'd hardly say I switched to or from anything.

G

MartinN

Doing film photography the professional way these days can be expensive and difficult, but nobody knows how the situation is after about ten years, say.

My way is the hybrid way.

agoglanian

I never stopped shooting film (Oh that’s a slight lie, there was a period from around 2006-2009 where I didn’t shoot any film after thinking digital was all that mattered) But as time has worn on I’ve become less and less interested in digital. It’s not so much the files or even the process. It’s the cameras themselves. There are of course a couple models that do interest me and I would enjoy using those, but I am just so tired of the perpetual obsolescence. I get far more joy from just shooting film today and since I no longer work as a professional photographer, it doesn’t particularly matter what method I use.

I will likely forever be a hybrid, but I suppose until I can use the systems that really interest me, I just get no JOY from shooting digital cameras (save for oddballs like the Ricoh GR). The technology is undeniably impressive, but I just feel so disconnected from the tool itself. Too removed from the process.

I really do blame a lot of what I’m feeling lately on the state of the world, I’ve had too much time to think stuck indoors and I’ve become so negative towards so many companies. Even though I know they’re just trying to do all they can to survive.

Sorry for the pessimistic rant, might not even make much sense. It’s just how my brain feels these days.

Godfrey

I dunno. I've never worried about any cameras' obsolescence, film or digital regardless. I buy cameras that I either know or think will produce photographs that satisfy me. Whether they're obsolete or not I only rarely notice.

My latest obsession in camera gear is a 1954-1956 Kodak Retina III/IIc. Certainly obsolete a long, long time ago; but still a delightful piece of equipment. :)

agoglanian

You are right on the money sir, it’s a silly personal dilemma on my end. Really I’m just more frustrated that it bothers me than anything else.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dust. Duuuuuusssst.... dust .... Did I mention dust? DUST!

Dust,

M

( 8x10 contact print - nothing more beautiful in all of creation. But dust. )

Shashin

There are certainly things I miss about film, but it has to do with the number of camera types and formats. If I can get interesting images, I really don't mind how I get there.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but dust also comes to mind...

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
small price to pay for pictures with soul…
I am that way about keyboards, so even if I don't need film to feel like I'm doing photography, I completely understand anyone who does. (And an 8x10 shot is one of the world's loveliest things.)

KC_2020

8x10 contact print - nothing more beautiful in all of creation. But dust.
It is a wonderful thing.

My new dilemma is considering whether the environmental impact of my processing about 60 sheets a year is something to be concerned about.