The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Broncolor tubes v phoxene

daz7

Hi,
Does anyone have first hand experience with phoxene tubes? How to they fare against the original broncolor tubes in light quality? Are there any meaningful differences?
I am about to buy a set of new tubes for 6 lights and the savings on phonxene would be substantial (basically, half price)
Is it worth it, or should I go with brons?

huyu

Bron rep told me "don't use 3rd party flashtube as it's going to damage your power pack"???
Million of time that I added the phoxene tubes to the cart then still won't do the buy. I'm on the fence. Half price is so tempting tho.
@Will Deleon they are not on eBay. Selling thru their website (France based)

huyu

Been using Brons stuff since last 6 years and never had a problem with their tubes, I just need a backup!

daz7

"Bron rep told me "don't use 3rd party flashtube as it's going to damage your power pack"???"

That is a bit strange, as Broncolor authorised sellers offer Phoxene tubes along the original brons and they do not mention any issues at all.
In the UK, you can buy them through Peartreephoto and I imagine they would be hesistant to sell if there was a real risk of damaging the packs they also sell. Also, I think there would be some negative comments online from unlucky ones that damaged their packs.
I have tried to search for online reviews or even mentions of replacement bulbs but no luck - don't know if no-one uses them or maybe the ones using them have no issues hence no comments online.

bab

maybe try to search out who makes the tubes for Bron Color that may offer you some clue, I use Broncolor and love it but yes its overpriced not just because its really good...its overpriced period.

huyu

@daz7 I have no clue, mate. If you ever contacted Bron and asked about 3rd party brands, they would have told you so...
I broke my Siros's tube once and finally went with the original at $206 while phoxene was 126e...

Ben730

If you work with Grafits or Scoros you should use the tubes of Broncolor marked with a Star.
They are made for the very short flash durations and the fast recharge for sequences.
The ones without star will break early and they can damage the power pack.
The coating of the tube should match with the protecting glass.