The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Crop Factors on the A7RIV

pflower

I have gone back to using my A7RIV after concentrating on my XID. There is much to love with the Sony but I vary between wanting 3:2, 1x1 and 4:3. On the X1D I can select a crop factor BUT the imported RAW file is imported into Phocus with the crop but it is not permanent - I can adjust it against the whole image if I need to. So choosing a crop mode on the X1D allows one to see compose but can be adjusted later. of On the A7RIV choosing a crop mode seems to capture that crop mode precisely and when imported into Lightroom there is no way of adjusting.

Am I missing something or is that just the way the A7R 1V is?

Thanks

Knorp

I'm using C1P and whatever crop factor I select the RAW files always open in 3:2 format.
Although I can see right after importing that the files briefly show up in the selected crop mode, but then immediately 'convert' to 3:2.
So I'd say it's probably an LR (and/or C1P) configuration setting and not per se fixed or limited by your camera.

AlanS

When I use the crop mode on both my S1 and E-m1,mk3 it is reflected in lightroom on opening the files. I can then leave it or go back to the full sensor size (or any other ratio I want).

pegelli

I have no experience with the A7Riv, but on my A7Rii going to the crop tool in Lightroom or Capture One reveals the entire sensor raw output when on the camera I selected a crop ratio different from 3:2.

In Lightroom it applies the camera set crop ratio upon import but in the develop module this is all changable with the crop tool, Capture One just shows the entire raw output by default, and doesn't take into account the camera set crop ratio.

Last edited:

vjbelle

The image is always taken in 3X2. If you are in some different format then the image has a tag placed on it that is read by Adobe - not C1. You can always overide the tag.

Victor B.