The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Extra wide negative carrier for 35mm film?

Just wondering if there are any negative film carriers for 35mm film that have a gate that is wider than the usual 24mm x 36mm? I'm planning to digitise some negatives that will be exposed with a stereo camera. This stereo camera of mine uses the Realist format which I believe is five perforations across the frame. I will be using a digital M4/3 camera with a macro lens to photograph the negatives (likely in a neg carrier.) And I would prefer to photograph stereo pairs rather than individual Realist film frames. Any gate / opening that is wider than normal would probably be fine. A gate aperture for a panoramic 35mm format might seem like overkill but would be a viable option as well.

Would there be anything like this that exists?

Last edited:

Required

Thank you. Ive checked out the Plustek panoramic film holder.

Actually, thinking about this more, I may not need an extra wide gate after all. I have not received my stereo camera yet but I know that the distance between the two lenses is close to 70mm. So it's likely that there will be other film frames in between the two frames that are being exposed by the two lenses. So based on that, I'm guessing that the stereo pairs won't be side by side but interspersed with other stereo pairs. If that's the case, then I would have no choice but to photograph the individual frames one by one. So a regular sized negative carrier would probably do fine.

I actually do have a 35mm negative carrier for a scanner but I'm not completely happy with it. Ive only used it a few times. The tricky thing is opening it. It seems to emit a lot of force when it's opened which flings the negatives out. It's almost a bit violent. Just worried because it might causes scratches on the negatives if they land on something sharp (like parts of the neg carrier.) And the speed at which the negs are ejected is very quick.

Lomography Digitaliza is the one I use.
That looks like a nice set up. Ive been trying to rig up a DIY system myself but probably the hardest thing I'm finding is getting the camera lens parallel to the film. At first glance, this Lomography Digitaliza looks like an all in one unit. But checking out pictures on the Lomography site, it looks like that vertical stand is only used for smartphones and if you want to use a regular camera, you'd have to use a tripod or something else I gather. So I'd still have the same issues trying to get the camera and lens parallel.