The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Global Sensor in Sony a9 iiii!!!

Paul Spinnler

Well this shows the way the industry could go – if they now manage to improve readout speed on a large sensor with a lot more pixels and with a focus on highest dynamic range we could have a case again for an IQ5.

First we need the new sensor though

buildbot

Well this shows the way the industry could go – if they now manage to improve readout speed on a large sensor with a lot more pixels and with a focus on highest dynamic range we could have a case again for an IQ5.

First we need the new sensor though
This sensor will do 120fps at full res already, it seems solved to me! I don’t think a larger sensor would be much slower unless it’s hugely high power or something and needs tons of cooling.

100% they could - it’ll just be really expensive to make a stacked 54x40mm sensor. I don’t see a technical reason they couldn’t right now.

doug

The a9III has some fascinating technological advancements, but it's not the camera for me. I've used cameras with higher resolution for too long to be interested in a 24MP camera. The global shutter completely eliminates the possibility of rolling shutter distortion but for my subjects the a1's speed hasn't been a problem.

I'm more interested in the 300mm f/2.8 GMaster. If the real-world performance is anything like the initial reports this could easily be my walk-around lens.