The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Goodbye DFD?

biglouis

Interesting teaser at Dpreview about new Lumix cameras changing from DFD to Phase Detect for the autofocus system.

Personally, I loved the G9 body for wildlife and bitterly hated the DFD autofocus which seemed to focus everywhere except the subject that was in the frame, or decided to hunt back and forth missing the subject altogether. Never have that problem with the Fuji bodies I moved to.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/99680...new-lumix-camera-set-to-be-announced-tomorrow

I've always wondered if Panasonic suffered from 'Leica disease' (its tech partner) in that DFD is theoretically the best form of autofocus invented, except in the real world, at least for continuous af, it doesn't work. I never had a problem with static subjects!

Be interesting to see if this change really does improve continuous af on the new bodies as both ergonomics of the Panasonic bodies and quality of the Lumix lenses was never a problem for me.

LouisB

Knorp

Will the current lenses cope with PDAF ?
I remember when Fuji introduced the GFX-100 the available GF-lenses only required a firmware update: "Compatibility with Phase detection AF function is added."

Last edited:

Knorp

And is PDAF for both their M43 and S-line ? And what kind of PDAF will they introduce ? Rumour has it that it could be some kind of LIDAR ...

biglouis

And is PDAF for both their M43 and S-line ? And what kind of PDAF will they introduce ? Rumour has it that it could be some kind of LIDAR ...
Looks like it is only for the now announced S5mkII, a full frame camera, which is of less interest to me.

Gordon Laing has done a thorough review of the photographic side and I have to say this is another boring full frame camera but with better autofocus than the last boring Panasonic full frame camera. Nothing to excite me, unfortunately.

Shame, I was hoping for an improved G9 with PDAF.

LouisB

Knorp

Yeah - nothing new here. Just something they should have incorporated a long time ago.
Still, there’s hope it will trickle down into their nextgen m43 bodies.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The S5II/X is far from boring, but it's mainly aimed at hybrid stills/video shooters. Its features are way beyond anything at its price point, particularly the X version.

Here's Photo Joseph's take:

Gerald Undone:

Kai:

Richard Wong:

That blind man:

What is interesting is that most reviewers claim that it's "best value". For me, the question is if I'm going for this or wait until they introduce PDAF with MFT cameras. Or both.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The S5II/X is far from boring, but it's mainly aimed at hybrid stills/video shooters. Its features are way beyond anything at its price point, particularly the X version.

Here's Photo Joseph's take:

Gerald Undone:

Kai:

Richard Wong:

That blind man:

What is interesting is that most reviewers claim that it's "best value". For me, the question is if I'm going for this or wait until they introduce PDAF with MFT cameras. Or both.
Aha ......

Knorp

Well, still boring. But at least you can think it all over till May, when the S5-IIX becomes available and hopefully in the meantime there's news of PDAF MFT bodies.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Still not inspiring for me :unsure:

The only interesting thing about Panasonic going now PDAF is that Leica uses their sensors in the SL and Q line. So there is hope that the upcoming SL3 and also the Q3 might finally get PDAF!

Which then is interesting for me!!!! ;)

Last edited: