The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help from anyone with an Alpa-Helvetar version of the 43xl - ANSWERED

dchew

I purchased a non-Helvetar version of the 43xl in an Alpa mount. I'm wondering if someone with the Helvetar version could do a measurement for me: I need the total distance of the lens, from base of the Alpa mount to the end of the front threads with the lens helical rotated to infinity. Mine measures about 59.5mm. The lens itself (without the additional Alpa mount distance) matches the 54mm dimension documented in Schneider's brochure.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my center filter. Back when all these lenses were available in Alpa mounts, Alpa created their own "Helvetar" branded SK lenses. Some of them had unique housings for the front elements that allowed them to share center filters. For example, the sk center filter "IIj" was used for several Alpa-Helvetar lenses. That center filter is 67mm, and the Alpa version came with a 67mm male x 67mm female spacer labeled, “Center Filter Adapter for Helvetar 5.6/43 and Helvetar 5.6/60.” This adapter spaced the IIj center filter a bit further away from the lens, making the center filter sort of "universal." I have this center filter for my 60xl, and I want to use it on the 43xl.

Helvetar versions of the 43xl and 60xl both had 67mm filter threads. The standard 43xl had 58mm, which is what mine is. The standard 60xl was 62mm. I'm just trying to figure out whether or not I should use that adapter on my 43xl in addition to a 58-67 step-up ring on the front. If someone could provide the measured overall length of an Alpa-Helvetar branded lens, I could figure it out. My guess is, the Alpa-Helvetar is either just like mine at 59.5mm (2-11/32"), or ~63.5mm, 4mm longer.

Thank you,

Dave

Paul Spinnler

Unfortunately, the problem with the step up ring is that it reduces the IC of the 43XL lens via a tiny bit of vignetting as you shift. It’s a good way, but you will see when shifting that the IC ends before the point without CF… I made this observation when using the CF of the 60 on the 43, but mine was not Helvetar.

dchew

Thanks Paul,
I’m not worried about vignetting. I’ve tried the step-up ring with and without the adapter and there is no vignetting at least to 100mm image circle. I wouldn’t shift this lens more than that anyway.
Dave

Paul Spinnler

Thanks Paul,
I’m not worried about vignetting. I’ve tried the step-up ring with and without the adapter and there is no vignetting at least to 100mm image circle. I wouldn’t shift this lens more than that anyway.
Dave
I can measure it tomorrow - I have both variants, but need to find a meter and its Sat. evening.

BR
P.