The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question Using LED lights for Portraits

rollsman44

have been shooting for almost 50 years. Always Use strobes with diffusers and Soft boxes.
Using LED lights is an option BUT having constant lighting cause the subject to squint.? and not a Soft light.
I know you can use a diffuser material to cover the LED light but then that cuts down the Power and have to increase the ISO or open the aperture more. I mainly shoot F5.6-8.0 for my portraits. Can someone explain this option to me. I would like to use LED lights ( rotolight) or similar but the Hard light and possible squinting is my concern. Thank you

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
have been shooting for almost 50 years. Always Use strobes with diffusers and Soft boxes.
Using LED lights is an option BUT having constant lighting cause the subject to squint.? and not a Soft light.
I know you can use a diffuser material to cover the LED light but then that cuts down the Power and have to increase the ISO or open the aperture more. I mainly shoot F5.6-8.0 for my portraits. Can someone explain this option to me. I would like to use LED lights ( rotolight) or similar but the Hard light and possible squinting is my concern. Thank you
I have no first-hand experience. Mark Mann uses rotolights (or a ring light) almost exclusively, but shoots portraits at f/2.5 - seldom more than f/4. More units in an array would help, but would be expensive.

I recently acquired a Falconeyes 22" round LED panel. Not in the same quality league as the rotolights, but it's large and produces a softer light. (I use it in my living room, not for photography!)

rollsman44

Hi Matt, thank you for sharing this. I have NO problem even shooting F4. What I have done recently, I have 3 Rotolights ( original ones I bought for a good price) and Use them to light up my background. I can adjust the brightness and I can see first hand how it looks. Does NOT work for my portraits . The light is small in diameter and Too Harsh. Dont want to use the diffuser as it cuts back on the power. Thank you Dennis

Greg Haag

Not sure if this is of any help, but we have this setup for head shots and are pleased with them. To me personally it still feels a little bright for the subject but the results are consistent and pleasing.

I use some nanlites sometimes. I still use flash for most of my portrait work but I think I'll slowly transition to the constant light when I get more comfortable with it. I havnt had a problem with squinting but the light does FEEL different which is odd. I too often shoot portraits at F7 and the nanlites have been cool. BW