The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using a film back with a technical camera

bomzi

I'm using a Mamiya ProSD 6x7 back on an Arca Swiss RM3Di with inconsistent results. Basically, I sometimes get only 6 frames instead of 8. The gap between frames tends to vary quite dramatically. Sometimes there is just 1/2" and sometimes well over 1". Perhaps I'm not doing something correctly when forwarding the film after a shot.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
thanks
Randhir

observedlight

I've had to what I think were dud backs because it would always happen on some units, I've read it's to do with a component but I can't recall exaclty.
If it's happening inconsitently though, like you actually can get 8 frames on this unit, then try use the advance mechamism slowly. I find it slips when you rush it.

Also when loading, I put my thumb on the roll to give it tension when I'm aligining the film to the arrow.

dmecham

I use a Horseman 6x12 roll film back on my Linhof. Seems to work well and enjoy shooting my view camera with this wide view.
Marina FB.jpg