The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

World's first full-frame global shutter camera

Paul Spinnler

The P5 sensor existed for a long-time it was developed for machine vision to quickly make shots of passing products on an assembly line. GS is required if the products zip by below the camera, e.g. electronic components etc.

My understanding from speaking to P1 reps was that the DR of this sensor is not good enough for photographic purposes. IE, photo people would want something that equals or exceeds the IQ4 in terms of DR as this is a very important feature.

Last edited:

ThdeDude

SENSOR RESOLUTION (MP) 128 RGB
PIXEL SIZE (U) 3.45

Looks like the P1's drone is using the well-known IMX661, 127.7 MP, 56.7 mm CMOS image sensor released in 2021. Some say too compromised in dynamic range. (Not knowing the frame rate of the IMX661, couldn't one stack the exposures to compensate for any dynamic range deficiencies?)

I assume the Alpha 9 Mark III will use a different, more advanced sensor technology.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

I think what’s more interesting here is that effectively means that the Canon R1 will have a GS sensor too. Canon is so well connected that they will have had Intel that Sony will produce a full format GS sensor and Canon also is the last remaining large camera manufacturer with in house sensor design.

Rumours long speculated that we will see a high megapixel R1 but it all now points to a 45 megapixel system perfectly made for action and ad / portrait photography.

An EOS 1 Body R type camera with GS 45 megapixel camera, quad pixel AF would be amazing