The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The old and the new

JimCollum

The Betterlight scanning back doesn't use a shutter... so pretty much any lens (with or without shutter) can be used.

This is a Holmes,Booth & Haydens Petzval lens, made in 1860. For more history on this make of lens, you can go to http://hbh.gordonmoat.com/

The lens has no aperture.. it's designed to only be shot wide open. I'll be playing around with this and putting up some test images taken with the oldest and the new.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
These are beautiful. I really like the softness that I'm assuming is a result of that old lens. The shot from under the bridge is amazing. The shadows are open and natural.

I know it's not your normal subject matter preference, but I'll bet this would make an interesting portrait combo. Because of the back's time requirements, it would be like going back in time to the early studios.

D

ddk

I love the subtleties and softness of this lens Jim, wish I could see what it does with portraits. Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

sizifo

Absolutely wonderful. Reminds me of "the assassination of jesse james.. ". I think the photographer (roger deakins) actually uses these kinds of old lenses for certain effect.

It's an interesting aspect of the larger formats that the dof properties often make large objects look like miniatures; using "sensors" much larger than those in the back of our eyes shrinks the world. I guess the vignetting also contributes to the effect.

JimCollum

thanks all for the comments! This is rapidly becoming my favorite large format lens.

Still playing around and figuring the ins and outs of it

From Fort Ord yesterday morning

Lars

The texture in the 100% crops, is that natural for that scanning back or a result of post-processing?

D

ddk

thanks all for the comments! This is rapidly becoming my favorite large format lens.

Really love this one Jim! :thumbs:

Wish there was way to use this type of lens with standard backs, there's so much beauty here...

Last edited:

Jeremy

Wish there was way to use this type of lens with standard backs, there's so much beauty here...
I'm curious what you mean by "standard backs", but regardless there is a way it just requires jury-rigging or having a someone like the SK Grimes shop to mount it in a shutter for you. Or just mount it up on a camera that has a Sinar shutter.

I also know Jim has been front-mounting a copal 3 to the lens for the flash sync to use with his Leaf back :thumbup:

JimCollum

The texture in the 100% crops, is that natural for that scanning back or a result of post-processing?
post processing. the file coming from the Betterlight is about as smooth as they come. I add some 'grain' when post processing (i have some custom split tones/grain combinations that i add using Silver Efex.) I've never considered reality as very 'smooth' :)

D

ddk

I'm curious what you mean by "standard backs", but regardless there is a way it just requires jury-rigging or having a someone like the SK Grimes shop to mount it in a shutter for you. Or just mount it up on a camera that has a Sinar shutter.

I also know Jim has been front-mounting a copal 3 to the lens for the flash sync to use with his Leaf back :thumbup:
I mean something like a Leaf 75s that needs a shutter to work with this type of shutterless lens. Its really a matter of triggering it, just don't know how to.

JimCollum

I mean something like a Leaf 75s that needs a shutter to work with this type of shutterless lens. Its really a matter of triggering it, just don't know how to.
that's the back that i have (75s).. I put a copal 3 shutter on the front of the lens, and used that to trigger the back

This is from the above setup (3 frames stitched)

(b/w conversion and grain via Silver Efex)

JimCollum

Jim, what iso are you around on the betterlight on those shots above? Just curious.
Anything that's without the IR block filter is pretty much ISO 200 (like i said.. i added grain to the images).. i'll get some original and post it)

D

ddk

that's the back that i have (75s).. I put a copal 3 shutter on the front of the lens, and used that to trigger the back
I didn't know that you were doing that I thought that everything was shot with your betterlight; thanks.