The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SUPER ANGULON XL 5,6/72mm FOR DIGITAL

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have a Schneider Super Angulon XL 5,6/72mm and have used it for LF 4x5 images , analog . I think , this is a great lens .
Has anyone ever used that lens for digital and what are your experiences ? ?
That question comes up for me , because I would like to use that lens with a CFV-39 digital back .
Especially for stitching , because the image circle of that lens is 229mm .
Would be ideal for a sensor size of 37x49mm .

Jürgen

MFnLF

Schneider SA 72XL is a great lens for both film and digital. I have used it with my Sinar 75LV digital back, and the images are amazingly sharp with wonderful tonality. Color fringing is well controlled if you use its sweet spot. However, as for stitching, I found lens cast could be a problem and was difficult to correct.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Schneider SA 72XL is a great lens for both film and digital. I have used it with my Sinar 75LV digital back, and the images are amazingly sharp with wonderful tonality. Color fringing is well controlled if you use its sweet spot. However, as for stitching, I found lens cast could be a problem and was difficult to correct.
Thank you for your information .
After contacting ARCA SWISS , I found that an adaption for digital use with my ARCA SWISS 4x5 is not possible as the required format reduction board is in the catalogue but was never produced .

Jürgen

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am pretty Kapture group makes sliding backs that mount directly to Arca 171 or 141 rear standards...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Kamur

I googled for graflok and their products , but that is not quite what I am after.

Jack
Thank you for your hint to the kapturegroup products . I will carefully check .
Yes , they have a sliding back or even a single back , what they call live video adapter , for many different view cameras .
I do not understand "live video" properly . There is no live video MF camera .
I think , they possibly mean live view .

Any other idea ? ? ?

Jürgen

FromJapan

Jurgen,

Graflok or 'International' mounts are named after the Graphic/Graflex cameras. The mounts they used for mounting roll film backs are now standard on all 4x5 cameras, including Arca. Kapture Group makes adapters in Arca as well as Graflok mounts, and you can use either with your Arca. The Graflok mount is more versatile, since you can use it with almost any 4x5 camera.

Kumar

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Kamur

I googled for graflok and their products , but that is not quite what I am after.

Jack
Thank you for your hint to the kapturegroup products . I will carefully check .
Yes , they have a sliding back or even a single back , what they call live video adapter , for many different view cameras .
I do not understand "live video" properly . There is no live video MF camera .
I think , they possibly mean live view .

Any other idea ? ? ?

Jürgen
The above questions have kindly been answered by fotografz in an other forum .

I will delay my decision , what I will do with my SUPER ANGULON XL 72mm
lens .
Too many open questions .
Thanks to everybody who posted .

Jürgen

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have met an expensive decision .
I have sent my SUPER ANGULON XL 5,6/72mm to SCHNEIDER to get a focus mount adapted for use on an ALPA 12 SWA , optimized for analog and digital . I don't what other costs will come up . :rolleyes:

Jürgen

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here is a shot , I recently took with the ALPA 12 SWA and the SCHNEIDER SUPER ANGULON 5,6/72mm lens .
Digital back was HASSELBLAD CFV-39 . Vertical shift =11mm , f=11 .
No rework done in PHOCUS except LCC . PSCS USM = 100/1,3 . The second image is a 100% crop .

View attachment 34916

jotloob

Subscriber Member
View attachment 34917

As the 5,6/72 Super Angulon is a LF lens , it is not really meant to be used for digital .
But I think the result is rather good . Not crisp sharp , but it shows a warm softness . For the image sizes I mostly produce , this lens very well uasable .