The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Linhof Master Technika vs. Chamonix 45N-2 vs. Ebony ?

D

DougDolde

IOC. Yes same model. Well it will work fine with a 210mm lens assuming you aren't trying to do macro work. As far as the rise goes you can tilt the camera then level the front and rear standard to get all the rise you want.

carstenw

While the Arca does look like a very nice camera, it also looks like I would need to switch to the bag bellows for wides (?), and so between that, gymnastics with getting rear movements, and limitations in the close focus distance with my 210, and I just don't see the particular attraction of the camera, compared to either the Master Technika or the Chamonix. The MT is a battle tank, true gothic heavy metal, and the Chamonix is a modern classic with great flexibility and strength. What does the Arca Swiss bring to the table?

I don't mean to disparage your choice, it might be perfect for you, and I have great respect for Arca Swiss products in general, but for what I am looking for, I see no advantage of this camera.

D

DougDolde

No problem, whatever. I'd never consider a Chamonix personally.

D

DougDolde

You know I'm really tired of this banter. Do as you like. I've better things to do than convince you of anything.

carstenw

I wasn't trying to be difficult, I was just curious why you didn't like the Chamonix. I thought you might have a viewpoint I hadn't considered.

Anders_HK

Anders, I already have my lenses for now: Schneider 90mm f/5.6 Super-Angulon MC Linhof Select, Schneider 135mm f/3.8 Xenar, Schneider 210mm f/5.6 APO-Symmar. None are the latest greatest, but the 90 and 210 are probably close enough for all practical purposes other than the most uncompromising very large enlargements.

The TFC45-IIB is a copy of the SW45, if I understand correctly, and this is non-folding and has a rigid back with only rise. I could imagine leaving out rise, fall and shift on the back, but not tilt or swing. Without tilt and swing on the back, I might as well get a Canon 5D2 with a couple of T/S lenses, in some ways. For this reason, I had already eliminated the SW45 and SW45SII. Only the SW45SIII starts to look interesting to me, and at that point the 45SU is just more attractive.

In general, one problem I have with Shen Hao is that they seem to copy cameras, pretty literally. Not only that, but they copy current cameras. They even have a copy of the Chamonix, although it apparently hasn't done that well for them, maybe because it is heavier and less rigid (no carbon fibre bed), and only slightly cheaper. There was apparently earlier a Mr. Kwok who did some original designs, but he left, and now they just do copies, mostly of Ebony cameras.

Chamonix on the other hand have copied and improved the Phillips camera, which is no longer made, and is very hard to find second-hand, and only at large prices.

To me this makes a large difference in how I feel about the companies. The Shen Hao cameras also seem to be a little cheaper, and more cheaply made, than Chamonix and some other cameras in the same price class, and I prefer to pay a little more and get a little more.

Anyway, sorry about this, I don't mean to criticize your choice, and this is just my decision process for myself. Thanks for the suggestion in any case.
Carsten and Jack,

The Shen-Hao being copy of Ebony? Well... is it really, or no more copy of an IDEA than Canon vs. Nikon vs. Sony and all the rest?? Think about it. How about the Linhof Techno being copy of the Ebony SW? Same idea or principle of cameras.

No worry about being critical, like I said we all have tad different preferences.

In regards to movements, do consider this;
1. Shifts and rise/fall = perspective corrections.
2. Front tilts and swings = DOF extensions.
3. Rear tilts = enables exaggeration of nearby subjects vs. far distance.

Do you need 3? Or, in the few cases when you do can you tilt the camera?

Looking back I feel lucky in my choice because I now do not see need in 3 for me. I prefer more rigid back and SIMPLE set to set up. The TFC has both 1 & 2.

If you want a more rigid camera, probably a rigid metal mono rail camera like an Arca is better than any of your other choices. Perhaps the MT is somewhere inbetween the wooden ones and that, not sure.

Perhaps read up what people say here http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/

Regards
Anders

carstenw

The Shen-Hao being copy of Ebony? Well... is it really, or no more copy of an IDEA than Canon vs. Nikon vs. Sony and all the rest?? Think about it. How about the Linhof Techno being copy of the Ebony SW? Same idea or principle of cameras.
Well, I didn't mean that they are conceptually the same, like a Nikon and a Sony. I mean that it is an actual copy. If you look at the two webpages:

Shen Hao TFC 45-IIB:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3165

Ebony SW45:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=76

You will see that they look very similar, even almost the same. The lock for the front standard swing is even the same, and isn't like other cameras. The specs are almost identical:

Shen Hao:

Front: rise 45mm, fall 25mm, shift 26mm, swing +/-45°, tilt +/-20°
Back: rise 50mm
Bellows extension: 50-190mm

Ebony:

Front: rise 60mm, fall 25mm, shift 38mm, swing +/-45°, tilt +/-20°
Bellows extension: 46-190mm

The places where there are differences, the Ebony has a little more movement, probably due to a thinner, more supple bellows, and due to more elegant construction. One example is front shift, where the Shen Hao, since it is screwed together, has two blocks, one on each side, for stability. This limits shift. The Ebony is welded or bent titanium, and doesn't need the blocks, and so gains 12mm shift on each side.

The Ebony is better built, but the price is vastly higher, and they are both good products, the Shen Hao being better value for the money. However, the Shen Hao (and not only this model) is a very literal copy of the Ebony. This has been their business model, more or less, since Mr. Kwok left, as far as I understand.

In regards to movements, do consider this;
1. Shifts and rise/fall = perspective corrections.
2. Front tilts and swings = DOF extensions.
3. Rear tilts = enables exaggeration of nearby subjects vs. far distance.

Do you need 3? Or, in the few cases when you do can you tilt the camera?
3 is also for correcting perspective. Pointing the camera straight and using rise on the front allows keeping a building straight. But what if your lens doesn't have enough coverage? Point the camera up, and tilt the back. Sideways works the same. I find this to be a very interesting possibility. One situation I have come across several times in my current project is a grave memorial which I wanted to photograph from straight on, but there was a tree in front. So, I can move to the side a bit, and shift the front. Front shift on portable cameras is often quite limited, however, so I could also move to the side, point the camera at the grave, and then swing the back to correct the perspective.

As I mentioned previously, I am fine with giving up rise, fall and shift on the back. These are fully equivalent to rise, fall and shift on the front, and can be simulated with more effort with tilt and swing on the back. I do want to have a camera which can do tilt and swing on the back, however. The effect of these are not equivalent to front movements, although with a bit of effort, and a lens with a very large image circle, you could get around it.

I do read the Large Format Photography Forum, by the way. You probably haven't seen me there, since I am not posting so much yet.

Anders_HK

Well, I didn't mean that they are conceptually the same, like a Nikon and a Sony. I mean that it is an actual copy. If you look at the two webpages:

Shen Hao TFC 45-IIB:

https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3165

Ebony SW45:

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=76

You will see that they look very similar, even almost the same. The lock for the front standard swing is even the same, and isn't like other cameras. The specs are almost identical:

Shen Hao:

Front: rise 45mm, fall 25mm, shift 26mm, swing +/-45°, tilt +/-20°
Bellows extension: 50-190mm

Ebony:

Front: rise 60mm, fall 25mm, shift 38mm, swing +/-45°, tilt +/-20°
Bellows extension: 46-190mm
We can disagree of that the above makes Shen-Hao a copy. My view is they are based on the same principle/concept, no more than difference of a 1Ds3 and D3X. Actually, I was originally planning to get the Ebony SW45. The only Ebony I seen live was a 23S in a used camera shop in Shanghai. The price they were asking was to laugh at (more than one can buy a new from the States for!) and its rail alignment was wrong due some accident or similar, but suffice for me to make my mind up of that an Ebony was not worth it for me. The Burmese Teak of the Shen does not have same fancy shine of elegant furniture as was my impression of the Ebony, but I found the Ebony to look dull in comparison and the Shen to look far more appealing and of beauty. Yet, they are mere tools. Adding the price difference and great service of the Shen-Hao shop in Shanghai, which is a place I travel often, thus the choice was simple for me. If something were to malfunction they can fix it far more cheap than shipping to Japan. Or, actually I could replace it cheaper than service in Japan of an Ebony would cost! Again, everyone have different preferences, I just inform of the ones I had, then it is for others to make their own.

I do read the Large Format Photography Forum, by the way. You probably haven't seen me there, since I am not posting so much yet.
I was only trying help :). In frankness I do wish you luck with which ever camera you choose, and after all it is only a tool. As I said, if you need more preciseness, perhaps look at an Arca, else perhaps the MT albeit $$ and weight. If you can look at them in person it will be a good help, but even in Shanghai and Hong Kong there is limit to what large format cameras one can see new... the world is on this thing called "a digital MP bug"... :D

Regards
Anders

carstenw

I do appreciate your posts, Anders. We do differ on what is a copy and what is a derived work, but that is okay, because we each use our own definition. I will of course report back to this thread when I finally have the money and decide on a camera.

carstenw

Well, my initial LF camera destiny (how is that for limiting the damage) has been decided, for now. I finally managed to get into contact with the older gentleman whose MT I looked at when I went to the recent camera swap meet here in Berlin. He actually worked at Linhof, is a fine mechanic, and has a small business fixing and selling old Linhof cameras in his spare time. One more avenue to retirement, probably. The Master Technika was still there, I expressed my continued curiousity in it, and he said he could put it aside for me, if I was pretty sure I wanted it. There are two other big swap meets coming up for him, so he wanted to know before putting it aside, so I had to choose. I am very curious about this camera, and am happy to have it be my first 4x5. If it doesn't work out, I can probably sell it on at little or no loss, since it is in mint condition, and the price is right. I will have the money about the middle of March and will pick it up then.

If one day I should get an 8x10, it will probably be the Chamonix.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Congrats on the decision Carsten, you will learn a lot using that camera -- most important, is to have some fun doing it!

carstenw

Thanks Jack, fun I will have for sure!

The 135 Xenar story will probably go on for a bit, but since it was an extra lens, it won't hold me back as I flesh out my kit. I picked up 5 nearly new Fidelity film holders yesterday, and have my eyes on ways of developing negatives. I need a dark cloth, and other than that, I am close to ready to shoot. I just need that camera!

Anders_HK

Well, my initial LF camera destiny (how is that for limiting the damage) has been decided, for now. I finally managed to get into contact with the older gentleman whose MT I looked at when I went to the recent camera swap meet here in Berlin. He actually worked at Linhof, is a fine mechanic, and has a small business fixing and selling old Linhof cameras in his spare time. One more avenue to retirement, probably. The Master Technika was still there, I expressed my continued curiousity in it, and he said he could put it aside for me, if I was pretty sure I wanted it. There are two other big swap meets coming up for him, so he wanted to know before putting it aside, so I had to choose. I am very curious about this camera, and am happy to have it be my first 4x5. If it doesn't work out, I can probably sell it on at little or no loss, since it is in mint condition, and the price is right. I will have the money about the middle of March and will pick it up then.

If one day I should get an 8x10, it will probably be the Chamonix.
Carsten,

Interesting and brilliant choice. The German equal to my shopping in Shanghai I presume?? :D. Very best luck on you 4x5 imaging!!! :thumbs:

carstenw

Haha, well, it is the *local* choice :) But seriously, I am a tech-head, and love well crafted technical things. This camera plays directly to that weakness ;)

With the movements it has, the missing ones can be creatively arrived at, including large shifts and tilts, but I am aware that having them natively, so to speak, would be more convenient. I will find out how much of a compromise that is. The weight is the only other disadvantage, but the MT doesn't weigh more than similar Ebonys!

JCT

Congrats Carsten-- that's a beautiful camera and the fact that a former Linhof guy has taken care of it is a huge advantage.

Post pics when you take delivery!

JT