The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Large Format site in Europe

B

BlueLemon

Very nice initiative..... but could take some time to get up and running like APUG.com or Largeformatphotography.info

But why don´t we join up - us "crossponds" ;-)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks for the tip, lilmsmaggie. It's always interesting to watch new forum approaches and concepts.

But I need to say that apart from a (very formal) geographic definition I have a hard time seeing what these so-called 'european countries' specificly have in common ?

I like the unlimited international forums and I don't want to isolate myself in a pure danish forum, even though with regards to language it would be much easier for me.
But I prefer to go on struggling with a foreign language to have access to an international atmosphere and vision.
It will be interesting to watch how many languages (!) will be used on this new european forum ... ;)

On the other hand I do admit that it would be nice if we could sort on the Location column in the Members List here on GetDPI in order to find members in the neighbourhood.
Then we could e.g. share a super-high-end-huge-format printer ... :)

Just my two cents of course, and as usual others mileage may vary !

carstenw

I signed up, but... to be honest, I am not sure I see the point. LFP and APUG already have thriving forums, and establishing a third is not necessarily going to improve anything. I agree that it is a shame that all the big ones are American, since the local events and all the sales tend to centre on the States, but it is just a fact of life that Americans are very active and dynamic, whereas Europeans are more moderate and reserved in their actions, so I am not surprised that it is this way.

Anyway, I would like to maybe frequent just two large format forums, plus of course getdpi, which has more of a local feel, with just a few friendly faces instead of the large groups, so I suppose I will support LFP and LFP.eu. It would be nice if all the European buy&sell action would converge on one forum, making it much easier to find stuff locally, without invoking huge shipping costs and import duties. I guess I will always check LFP.eu first when I am buying.

carstenw

Should I repeat it or what do you mean? Americans are very go-to-it when it comes to getting stuff up and running. Europeans are somewhat slower and tend to get bogged down quicker in discussions over perfection. There are individual exceptions of course, but I think that history speaks for this. I speak as a European who has lived on both sides of the ocean.

Anecdotally, have you ever visited the international and German parts of the Leica forum? In the German half they are always arguing about silly sh*t, which is why I don't go there. As far as I can tell, this is the typical situation.

Now, I am not saying that the Americans always do things *better*, just that they are very quick to get things going :)

I hope this new forum is different, but no one seems to be going there. The last message is my introduction, a few days ago. Let's see...

viablex1

Should I repeat it or what do you mean? Americans are very go-to-it when it comes to getting stuff up and running. Europeans are somewhat slower and tend to get bogged down quicker in discussions over perfection. There are individual exceptions of course, but I think that history speaks for this. I speak as a European who has lived on both sides of the ocean.

Anecdotally, have you ever visited the international and German parts of the Leica forum? In the German half they are always arguing about silly sh*t, which is why I don't go there. As far as I can tell, this is the typical situation.

Now, I am not saying that the Americans always do things *better*, just that they are very quick to get things going :)

I hope this new forum is different, but no one seems to be going there. The last message is my introduction, a few days ago. Let's see...
your keeling me!!! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Lars

Carsten,

To me, your comments say more about Leica owners than about Europeans ;)

I think you'll have to limit your views of European culture to the subset that you have actually experienced - I assume primarily German. To state the obvious, Europe is culturally and linguistically very fragmented (compared to North America).

If I look at Swedish photography forums, I find the major ones quite active. since the conversations there are held in Swedish, with a local focus, the rest of the world has little interest in observing or participating.

carstenw

I have not visited Swedish forums, so I will have to leave that one out. I am familiar with British, Danish and German culture, in this respect, and French to a lesser extent. In general though, I think it is not controversial to say that Americans are very quick to get things started with a minimum of fuss, whereas Europeans take more time in this phase. This is one of the strongest reasons why the USA rose to be a world power in such a short time. Great energy, great drive.

As mentioned previously, there is another side to this, and Europeans will tend to do whatever they do very well, i.e. with a higher degree of quality. I think these two things are almost flip-sides of the same coin. There are of course also high quality American products, but is is not a basic expectation in the same way it is in Europe.

Anyway, this can never be more than a simple generalization, and it is too easy to poke holes in such things, so I will drop it here. It is just a simple observation based partly on the fact that of the large, international, important forums online in many fields, the vast majority are based in the States. Sweden may be able to build great local forums, but international ones? piratebay? :)

Lars

Actually, piratebay is a stellar example of an incredibly successful community innovation. So is Skype. Both have changed the game in their industries - free global calls, free (though not necessarily legal) media.

If you look at the mobile industry, you'll see that Sweden and Finland has dominated the innovation there for three decades. Considering the joint population in Finland and Sweden of about 12 million, that's quite remarkable. It's less obvious now as the industry matures. Where were the Americans in this progression of mobile innovation? Busy maintaining their outdated cellular networks. They still are, and will be for quite some time. American mobile companies are still trying to understand the world outside their own home market, with a varying level of success. So to generalize and say that innovation happens in America just doesn't hold. The real difference is that American corporations have larger marketing budgets, so they are able to make more noise.

Another successful community that is not US-based is Nikonians.org.

L

lilmsmaggie

Lars, Carsten -- be nice. :grin: If it is any consolation, the U.S. LFPF is down and has been down at least 24 hrs. :wtf: and counting.

So much for american innovation and internet dominance. ;)

proenca

I agree with Carsten on this one ; having lived in several countries until now, we Europeans share one common trait usually : perfection.

We want to have everything 120% right before puting out to the market or to the world.

Americans have an idea and they start looking quickly how to materialize it.

I fully agree with Carsten on this.

Is this Carsten saying that Americans do it better ? No. Quicker ? Yes.

Nobody say anything about innovation. Innovation happens just in America as in Europe.

Americans are centric per nature and so are their companies. Good or bad, its a fact that comes from their size : not talking about bellies here :) but due to the fact that America is a united country the size of Europe. Well larger.

So a big company in American can live happily without exporting where a company to be that big in Europe, has necessarily to export and cross borders.

Well sorry for hijacking the thread :)

carstenw

Little Miss Maggie,

(is Maggie your name?)

yes, LFP has been down for well over 24 hours now, to my great regret. It is a really great forum, with lots of useful information, and I have spent many days working my way through many of the photo threads there. I hope it comes back soon.

viablex1

Anyway, this can never be more than a simple generalization, and it is too easy to poke holes in such things, so I will drop it here. It is just a simple observation based partly on the fact that of the large, international, important forums online in many fields, the vast majority are based in the States. Sweden may be able to build great local forums, but international ones? piratebay?

basically what I was getting at, and of course americans do it faster because it isn't america its china!!! there is no America but don't tell American's that , they are like Baptists they think they're the only ones and God is on their side only...:ROTFL::ROTFL:

A

aprillove20

Well, it's very interesting to watch new forum approaches and concepts.