The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Suggestions for cable releases

L

lilmsmaggie

Cable releases: Hmm ... Do these need to be a certain length e.g. 12, 20, 40 inches?

Does it matter if they are cloth covered/vinyl/plastic ?

Gepe, Calumet, General, Adorama; Does it matter?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Nope -- for the most part, they all function the same. I preferred Nikon releases and their locks were easy to operate with gloves on --- I put one on each lens and left it there.

Lars

The wire kind is good for 4x5.
For a (much larger) 8x10 camera I find that an air release makes a noticeable difference in reducing oscillation. If you're the obsessive kind then you might want to consider that for your 4x5, otherwise don't.

D

DougDolde

I like the Linhof releases best. Not the cheapest though. Badger Graphic has them.

L

lilmsmaggie

I like the Linhof releases best. Not the cheapest though.
Yeah. Mucho expensive.

I thought I'd might try a Gepe and a Kaiser cloth covered cable in the same length. They both cost the same, have the same T-lock locking mechansim. It would give me an idea if I preferred one over the other. The Linhof's are a bit more than I can justify at this time but I've heard they are built to last. Maybe even outlast the shutters themselves.

Lars

A cable release is probably the single worst place to look for brand names. There are different qualities, yes, but the quality is unrelated to brand name. Buy a few dirt cheap ones, and use the one you like. You will need at least two or three, as you will likely lose one somewhere in the urban jungle. Gepe, Kaiser, Hama, or any offbrand is just fine.

One quality factor in a cable release is how much (little) momentum it transfers to the camera. Longer ones are usually better. for wideangle lenses you are OK with a short release, but if you want to use the T-lock for long exposures then at least a foot or more length is practical to let the release hang far below the camera.

So: got to the local camera store and find whatever offbrand release they have, and get that one as a that one as a starting point.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Exactly, and why I went with the Nikon releases -- about $15 each, smooth with good locks. I kept one attached to every lens.

R

Rick Moore

I am partial to Gepe releases because they have a nice long draw, which is needed for my lenses in Alphax and Rapax shutters.

L

lilmsmaggie

Today, I picked up my Rodenstock 90mm Grandagon-N which I purchased from KEH and took to a local photography store to be sent out to check the accuracy of the shutter speeds and CLA. I have to admit, this lens is drop-dead gorgeous. :thumbs: The store owner/operators are from Germany, so I got to hear how "Rodenstock" is supposed to be pronounced. :D

Anyway, while I was there, I picked up a store brand, no-name 12" cloth covered shutter release cable. I was attracted to the color. It's a rich burgundy with a black, kinda hounds-tooth pattern. It has what I'm guessing is a disc-lock mechanism. For $15, I figured what the heck!

Since I was on my lunch break, I didn't have a whole lotta time on my hands. I'll probably go back to see what else they have to offer.
Especially in the 20" length area.

Stuart Richardson

I agree, there is not so much to choose from. I found one when I was living in japan that is cloth covered and made out of brass. It was a "deluxe" model by King. It is the best I have used -- the threads are easier to get into most camera's slots, and it locks and unlocks better than all others I have used (including the Linhof ones). The only reason I don't really like the Linhof ones is that I find them more difficult to lock with gloves or one handed...the one I have doesn't have an automatic lock either, for if you want to shoot on bulb and only have one hand free.