The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would like some input on the Ebony 45SU

baxter

Good choice of camera! Mine has been tremendous.

The 110XL really is fantastic. It stays on my 45SU and gets used the most. Not only high image quality and huge image circle, the perspective is superb too.

I went from a 90, 120, 150 set-up to 58XL, 80XL, 110XL and then the 150. The 58 sees seldom use, the 80 quite a bit, but the 110 is the greedy one!

Incidentally the 80 and 58 both need the centre filter, the former with any small amount of movement showing noticeable vignetting on E6 film. The same CF fits all 3 Xl lenses.

Also the 80XL and 58XL really need the Ebony Wide Angle Fresnel lens back as the corners of the standard one go very dark indeed. Bag bellows help too.

Have just decided to sell all my LF film gear to get a Phase 645DF set-up.

timparkin

First, I'll just say there is no single perfect camera that I ever found. that said, in the 4x5 view camera world, there were three standouts for me:

1) For the scientist/engineer in me that was interested in precision adjustments and framing, my standout favorite was the Arca F-Metric with micrometric Orbix front tilts.

2) For the more Zen-like ease of use shooter in me approach, my favorite was by far the Ebony 45SU --- simply awesome to use.

3) For the part of me that wanted the lightest weight and most rigidity, the Chamonix (or Original Phillips) were landmark.

Cheers,
I've used all of these and agree completely - I own an Ebony 45SU and the Chamonix and am planning on buying an Arca at some point. Then I might give up (I've got a Toyo 810MII which won't be sold I imagine).

Tim

thrice

I use the 75mm Nikkor on my 45S and I'm strongly considering the 110XL, I often find I can't get quite as close as I like, and then the larger movements give some serious composition freedom.

I find the 75mm comparable to 20mm in 24x36mm. I would imagine 110mm is equivalent to around 28-30mm which is far more useful. You don't realise how little you will need the ultra-wide-ness when you have movements at your disposal.