The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS base plate for 45SU

L

lilmsmaggie

This is a question for Jack Flesher but I invite anyone else who may have some insight and/or experience to contribute.

After recently changing my Chamonix camera order to Teak, my 45n-2 is almost on its way. In Jack's original review of the 45n-1, he uses a RRS base plate for the Ebony 45SU. I was wondering if this base plate would also work with the 45n-2 mounted to a Manfrotto 410.

I don't anticipate that much change to the base of the newer 45n-2, so I'm guessing I could use the same RRS base plate. The unknown factor here is if it can be used with the 410.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if the RRS baseplate for the 45SU is the same as the one for the 45n-2, but I suspect it will be "close enough."

Re Bogen/Manfrotto, they use (or at least used to use -- I have not even glanced at Bogen heads in a long time) a totally different QR plate. What you would need to do is mount a regular Arca-style clamp from RRS, Kirk or Arca to the Manfrotto head, then the baseplate from RRS will work.

carstenw

I believe that Kirk has a special converter, which has a bottom with Manfrotto shape and a top with Arca shape. This should be a bit more rigid.

stephengilbert

Jack,

If someone doesn't already have an RRS plate, which sounds like the case here, is there any reason to go through the effort and expense to make the head fit one, as opposed to using a Manfrotto plate?

Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack,

If someone doesn't already have an RRS plate, which sounds like the case here, is there any reason to go through the effort and expense to make the head fit one, as opposed to using a Manfrotto plate?

Steve
The main one would be for anti-twist capabilities: The RRS plate for the Ebony has a lip that prevents twisting. To my knowledge, the Bogen/Manfrotto plate is a generic fit with friction padding to prevent twisting. If that suits, then yes, a regular Bogen QR plate should be fine!