The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Choosing an 8x10 field camera?

jonpaul

Thanks again Jack. I am hunting diligently for a camera now. We'll see how it goes. Then, lenses for 8x10 color work (multi-coated) that afford some front tilts for focus and won't break the bank. I already have a Rodenstock 360, so perhaps a 240.
I appreciate the input you each share. In this case, ignorance is not bliss!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
A 210 G-Claron will cover 8x10 if you stop down to f22, it's a pretty good performer and can be had cheap. I would pay the extra to get one in a factory shutter for the 210 as there are a lot of cobbled together ones floating around with shutters from whatever. They are single-coated only, so a bit more prone to flare perhaps, but I really liked the way they rendered on both color neg and tranny emulsions; near the end, I had a 210, 240, 305 and 355 -- and ended up selling up everything else in that range, even the exotics like my 150 and 210 SSXL's, Computar 210 and eventually my Cooke Triple --- a sale I later regretted FWIW. Actually, I liked the rendering (and price) of the G-Clarons so much, I later bought a 150 for my 4x5!

Also, if you happen to already own a Schneider 110 SSXL, it will almost fully illuminate 8x10 at infinity/f22(!) I would not rush out and buy one for 8x10, the resolution isn't superb at the edges, but if you already own one it's worth trying ;) It's VERY wide on 8x10, so plenty of room to trim the corners and you probably net as good a wide image as if you used one of the dedicated 120 super-wides.

Longer, I had a phenomenal copy of the Rodenstock 480 Rodagon that was about the same size as the G-Claron 355, and enough diferent than the 305 that it was the long focal I carried. So my 8x10 bag usually had the 210 and 305 G-Clarons, the Rodie 480 and the 110 SSXL. The Arca, lenses, meter, loupe, hood and four holders all fit in a medium f64 backpack and weighed around 25 pounds. I carried the tripod in my hands.

Lars

Lots of 240's cover 8x10 - more tricky with 210. Jack mentioned the G-Claron; I have a single-coated Fujinon-w 210 f/5.6 that covers with some margin but it's a bit harder to find. I also have a 240 f/5.6 Apo-Symmar (sharp, contrasty, heavy) and a 250 f/6.3 Fujinon-W (huge image circle), and I used to have a 240 f/9 Fujinon-A (tiny, too dark to focus for me). 240 feels like a wide normal more than a moderate wide. In general I feel more comfortable with wider lenses on 8x10 than on other formats since there is so much film area to crop from.

Aside from cost, the 150XL is a fantastic 8x10 wideangle - ridiculously sharp, lots of coverage for aggressive shifts (you get almost half the vertical frame in shift), and much more compact than the 121 Super Angulons. Centerfilter required for positive color film. Some find it too contrasty - typical modern Schneider look if you will.

Jack you're referring to my old Apo-Ronar 480? I think Rodagon is an enlarging lens (which of course doesn't mean it can't be mounted on a camera).

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack you're referring to my old Apo-Ronar 480? I think Rodagon is an enlarging lens (which of course doesn't mean it can't be mounted on a camera).
Lars, you are correct -- my mistake. Yes, it was YOUR old APO Ronar, and it was a amazing!

A

alexrock23

The only 8x10 Toyo lists is an 810MII and at 15 lbs, is one of the heaviest 8x10 field cameras. It has good specifications and seems highly thought of in terms of being solid and smooth. If you're shooting near the car, I think it would be an excellent choice, but if you ever even think about putting it in a pack and walking more than a quarter mile, I'd think again.

Tex

Subscriber Member
A 150XL is a legendary lens - but why complicate the "on/in field" experience with a CF when shooting E6 - keep it simple -or shoot C41.

My opinion from first hand experience - others will no doubt differ.

Cheers!

Lars

A 150XL is a legendary lens - but why complicate the "on/in field" experience with a CF when shooting E6 - keep it simple -or shoot C41.

My opinion from first hand experience - others will no doubt differ.

Cheers!
Yep I solidly disagree :) can't stand the fall-off. Purely subjective, as you point out.

Lars

The only 8x10 Toyo lists is an 810MII and at 15 lbs, is one of the heaviest 8x10 field cameras. It has good specifications and seems highly thought of in terms of being solid and smooth. If you're shooting near the car, I think it would be an excellent choice, but if you ever even think about putting it in a pack and walking more than a quarter mile, I'd think again.
The 810GII monorail (seen here) is certainly also a Toyo 8x10. Being a monorail it's even heavier at 20 lbs but I have routinely carried mine in a backpack (Super Trekker, about 60 lbs loaded) for up to full day (slow) hikes. So it's certainly possible to get far away from your mechanised transportation. It just depends on how strong and persistent (ok, stubborn) you are.

Note that the weight of my camera is only a third of my total system weight, so fixating on camera weight alone might not be quite rational. If you seriously want to cut system weight then step down to 5x7 as everything gets smaller - camera, lens, tripod, film holders, etc. OK maybe not the light meter.

The 810MII is one of the most rigid field cameras you can find. If you can find one - they are highly sought after.

Lars

I used the old Pocket Spot back in 2003-2004, fine piece of engineering but in the end sparse in function and overpriced for what it did. I found it not very practical for zone thinking. In addition the company was more or less impossible to contact, online or by phone. Perhaps the new product is better thought out but I wouldn't bet $425 on that just yet.

georgl

I'm also interested in a 8x10" field-camera!

I thought about a Deardorff, although Ebony and Lotus would propably offer superior quality (at a superior price tag as well...). Some people like the old Kodak Masterview.
But I'm more the metal-guy, I don't really trust wood as a material for precision tools. What about Toyo?

Why 8x10" ? Well, with 4x5" you already have to fight with the filmholders, dust, screen, bellows - all the large-format-issues, so why don't use a 4x larger format in the first place? Although the Linhof Master Technika would be my dream camera and there is only a very old 8x10" version available...

@Jack Flesher
I've tried to find information about the Arca-Swiss AB - didn't find any. Is it some kind of lightweight monorail camera? I only saw the astonishing Misura - but I can hardly pay 5k€ for it...

Lars

georgl,
Both toyo 8x10's (810G monorail and 810M field) are quite solid. Not superlight but they do take a licking. I've abused my 810G quite severely during 12 months in the Australian outback, including canyon climbing, sandstorms, pouring rain (ok, that was Tasmania). I'd say they are comparable to Linhof in usability and construction but perhaps not quite as elegant in design and manufacturing. The upside is that you pay much less for the brand name on the second-hand market. Like I mentioned before - I paid 500 for mine back in 2004 when the market was flooded with them. Perhaps less so now.

Lars

BTW as you noticed the Arca Swiss company has this cunning ability to stay under the radar - I guess it's called unmarketing.

georgl

Yes, Arca-Swiss is more than just strange - but their quality is without any doubt.

A Toyo field for 500$ ? Doesn't sound like much at all. I'm willing to spend about 1500€ for the camera, I already bought a 300mm Sironar-N (there doesn't seem to be a major difference to the current Sironar-S ?) with Prontor shutter (is it just me, or what's with the Seiko-shutters - the mechanics are simply cheap, even with an Alpa?).
What about film holders? The bay recently offered Sinar adhesive-holders, but I missed them.
Anything else to keep in mind?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The A/S "AB" model is an old design no longer made, so you'll only find it used, and ergo relatively cheap. However, it's standards will still fit on the new rails.

jonpaul

Thanks again for all the input guys! At the moment I am leaning toward the Wehman 8x10 field camera. I can't find a reasonably priced used Arca, i think the Toyo is abit heavy and bulky for my specific needs, etc. I just have to come to terms with the higher budget price. Then I will try to settle on a 240mm lens first, next a 150, etc.
I appreciate your honest input. it helped me put my priorities together.

jonpaul

You ar3e correct Doug. However, neither are what I'm shooting for. I can get the new Wehman for $2K ish. Seems like the best choice relative to all I've found and what I need. Let's see if I can get myself to pull the trigger now:)

S

SCHWARZZEIT

The A/S "AB" model is an old design no longer made, so you'll only find it used, and ergo relatively cheap. However, it's standards will still fit on the new rails.
Is this the Arca AB model you're referring to?

-Dominique