The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Choosing an 8x10 field camera?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Is this the Arca AB model you're referring to?

-Dominique
That's actually a "B" model without axial tilts, but of the proper vintage. The AB model is identical, but has axial as well as base tilts on both standards and weighs about half a kilo more than the basic B.

Note too the "bail" back --- very convenient for inserting/removing large, thick holders!

I hijacked that photo for thread posterity:

S

SCHWARZZEIT

That's actually a "B" model without axial tilts, but of the proper vintage. The AB model is identical, but has axial as well as base tilts on both standards and weighs about half a kilo more than the basic B.

Note too the "bail" back --- very convenient for inserting/removing large, thick holders!

I hijacked that photo for thread posterity:
I'm enjoying the convenience of the bail back on my Arca M. It's a very clever system.

In the dealer's description it say's the B is not compatible with the 171mm lens board system. Do you remember what type of lens boards you used on your AB?

-Dominique

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
I might be late to the game here but I noticed that Richard Ritter in Vermont (the builder of the Zone VI camera) for the Fred Picker Zone VI studios is building a new 8x10 wooden camera. From what I saw it has carbon fiber rails in it so it might be worth looking at.

Jason

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
In the dealer's description it say's the B is not compatible with the 171mm lens board system. Do you remember what type of lens boards you used on your AB?

-Dominique
Hmmmm... I had an adapter board to Linhof tech, so it may have been something other than standard AS 171. Now that I think about it, I seem to recall more rounded corners than typical 171, but am not sure. I've seen reference to a "C" model that looked just like the AB -- in fact I always thought they were the same thing -- but maybe it had standard 171 board front?

Audii-Dudii

The Toyo monorails are great cameras but quite heavy at around 9 kgs just for the camera. If you want to shoot with 600mm lenses in windy conditions a monorail (and two tripods) is a must, though.
FYI, one of the nice things about the Toyo G series is that you can mix-and-match parts between the various formats and if you're clever and careful, you can save quite a bit of weight.

For example, my Toyo 45G weighs just under 8lbs in its current form, thanks to mixing parts between various other Toyo models, and my 810g is down to just over 15lbs for similar reasons (and a minor bit of machine work).

jsf

Having used 8x10, (a 5x7 reducing back), and 4x5 (a 6cmx9cm reducing back) for 40 years, I have to say there is still nothing like an 8"x10" transparancy. Literally one can see texture on glass. I lugged around an old Ansco Field camera which as I recall weighed 27lbs(about 12+ Kg). It always comes down to what you want from the end result. In architectural shots (which is what I did a lot of) I could get more swings and tilts with the 4x5 view camera than I could get on the 8x10 field camera. But that is an obvious thing, but I also found that there was more coverage on the 4x5 lenses than on the 8x10's. I would say, go for the sturdiest and then the lightest body you can afford. Joe

D

davidpz

Deardorff anyday for a field camera. I've been using them since 1978 outdoors or in the studio regardless whether it was a roomset, still life or a portrait. I've owned a Gandolphi (& waited 6 years to get it) - don't go near them. Ebony, didn't live up to my expectations & got sold off in the first month. Linhof Technikarden fantastic and equally at home in the studio or up a mountain. Except, it's made of metal & not as at home to the elements as a Deardorff. Sinar P2 -definately a studio camera & not something you want to lug about, get wet, or drip on the sand. I've just sold off my 10x8 kit but still have my 5x7 Special. As for the Derdorff lookalikes from Japan, I've never owned one. I've fiddled with them in the store and not really liked them. Lack of robustness. If a Deardorff was good enough for Adams, Weston, Penn, Avedon & the like - who am I to criticise?

J

jeanba3000

Hello

I had a vintage Century #2 8x10, a bit shaking but enough for pinhole photography, at that time I hadn't money for lenses…

Now I have an Arca Swiss F-classic which weights only 600g more than the Century #2, less than 4 kg and its stability and possibilities does not compare to the old wooden one. Price also is not comparable, even second hand (I paid my 8x10" Arca ~2000€)…
I think Arca makes an 8x10" Misura, that comes with a clever folding rail so the folded camera takes no more place than any 8x10" wooden field camera.

I you want a wooden camera, you might also consider Argentum cameras, a recent hungarian manufacturer. They have some very lightweight cameras, they also build to order in any size for reasonable prices ; a french photographer ordered them a 8x8" square camera and is very satisfied with the product.

F

frednewman

My favorite 8x10 field camera is the 8x10 Metal MQC Canham camera. It's light weight, solid, comes with a great fresnel and ground glass for focusing and even a focusing scale. It's always my first recommendation when someone asks about 8x10 cameras. Plus Keith Canham is a great guy to deal with.

Fred Newman

Nati Canto

Hi,there. Im new here. I would really love a tip from the experts. Im looking for an 8x10 camera and dont know which one best suits my purposes.

1) a not so expensive one.

2) a camera that I can use polaroid film (Im gonna look for a polaroid processor too)

3) im going to Shangha in September and heard of positive and negatives on the Shen hao. Is it good?can I use polaroid ?

4) weight. Im a girl. Hehehe

Thanks a bunch!!!

Shashin

Welcome.

I guess I would start with how and where you are going to use this--in a studio and controlled location or on the streets? Is this for landscapes or portraits? The camera is actually not the heavy thing, it is the tripod, holders, Polaroid processor, etc. And you should budget for those too as well as a bag.

8x10 cameras have a universal Graflok back and so every 8x10 should be the same in that regards. The Polaroid should fit all cameras The only exception might be some of the newer solid metal body Chinese cameras, but I don' think you want one of those.

The other thing would be if you want a monorail or flatbed camera. Both have pros and cons. Flatbeds tend to be easier to pack, but some monorails fold flat. Monorails have more movements and it is easier to extend the rail. To be honest, you cannot go too wrong with an 8x10 camera, they will all be good. Finding one that fits your work, is a bit harder.

I would probably buy an used 8x10. 8x10 cameras are usually never overworked and their owners take care of them.

Ben Rubinstein

Do Fuji do any instants in 8X10? Ilford I know do some incredibly slow direct exposure to paper stock, expose like film, develop like paper. I think it comes in 8X10.