The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How relaxing to shoot film again!

Ben Rubinstein

Hi,

I'm new here, found the link to the forum from Jack's signature on another forum. Have to say it's very nice to find a website without the arrogance and defensiveness of some other forums not to be mentioned here!

I entered the LF world through a wish to be able to print and exhibit/sell images big enough to almost be able to walk into them. Although I have a medium format background in 645, I wanted a BIG jump in resolved detail, the use of movements was a nice extra! Unfortunately as this is a private project a medium format back with sufficient resolution is so far out of my league it could well be on another planet.

I'm shooting urban landscapes in the shape of the alleyways and architecture of the Old City of Jerusalem to coincide with a book I'm trying to on the 'Old Yishuv' (areas where Jews have been living since the distruction of the Temple, basically the Old City and Meah Shearim).

I originally bought the Camera Fusion adaptor to use with my 5D and theoretically be able to produce 100 megabyte files but it became apparent after the first time I used it that working in very narrow alleyways with constant traffic even at dawn with a stitching back that needs some 80 or so frames was not practical at all, the light was changing drastically faster than I could shoot a composition. Although I was able to use a 135mm lens, it was not easy. Most of all though, I lost the ability to shoot people within the compositions which I realised really suited certain subjects.

So I'm selling the Camera Fusion adaptor (anyone interested? I have the only one made which can work in vertical as well as horizontal) and I'm also selling the big Gandolfi Varient. I bought myself a beautiful little MPP MKVII for just £250 on ebay and together with a Horseman 6X12 back (I've fallen heavily in love with this ratio for urban work) I went out today and shot a couple of rolls of film.

I know many LF snobs will talk of LF forcing the need to shoot less, but I'm used to working a scene when the light is changing, I shot a roll of film (4 frames) for each of the two scenes. The light was moving across in the first and I was shooting people in the 2nd.

It was only as I was on the bus home that I realised that this was the first real shooting of film that I had done since 2004 and just how relaxed I was about not seeing the images as soon as I got home, what a novel experience!

I won't have the rolls from todays or the next few weeks shoots for a while and I haven't even sourced the Nikon 9000ED that I intend to buy for scanning them but I'm having fun so who cares!

This is the first scene I was shooting today (this was from the 5D) Hope the film version blows my mind!

Ben Rubinstein

Marc, we know each other from photo.net wedding forum, though I have to admit that there hasn't been anything there interesting enough to participate in for a while. I noticed that you are here on this forum, good to see you again.

Last edited:

fotografz

Marc, we know each other from photo.net wedding forum, though I have to admit that there hasn't been anything there interesting enough to participate in for a while. I noticed that you are here on this forum, good to see you again.
Hey Ben ... I figured it was you ... great to see you here !!!

Yep, the wedding forum went South pretty quickly ... boring.

Keep us up on your LG format progress. Post pics when you get them.

I haven't done any LG format film work for so long I can't remember. I'm now working with a Rollei Xact2 and a Hasselblad 39 meg back for View Camera stuff.

Most of my film work is with 6X6 or 6X7 scanned on a Imacon 949. Slower. Love it.

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

Your 949 Marc or are you outsourcing? I came to the conclusion re scanning that I'm not paying other people to not get it perfect, if I want it to look a certain way then it really is for me to get it that way rather than bite through my keyboard in fustration when I get the disk back from the lab....

fotografz

Your 949 Marc or are you outsourcing? I came to the conclusion re scanning that I'm not paying other people to not get it perfect, if I want it to look a certain way then it really is for me to get it that way rather than bite through my keyboard in fustration when I get the disk back from the lab....
It's mine Ben. I got it at a nice close-out discount when they swapped over from Imacon badging to Hasselblad. Same scanner.

The best scanner I've ever used. Very, very fast. Has a grain softening diffused light source that produces more "enlarger" like scans. The "virtual drum" concept really works to keep the film flat ... even 4X5.

Ben Rubinstein

The lab I was working with when shooting 645 was going to upgrade their 868 for a 949 but never got round to it, their biggest reason to upgrade was that diffused light source as the 868 was pretty harsh with grain and scratches.

I'm looking for a Nikon 9000 to use with wet scanning, seems to me to be the most affordable option for high quality roll film scans and I'm assured by people I trust that it's good for an 8X enlargement which is what I'm looking for. To be honest if I could afford a 949 (or have the desk space!) then I would probably buy a MF back and to hell with it!

Stuart Richardson

Hi Ben, welcome! Nice shot. I look forward to seeing the film version. Some of us here still shoot film. I prefer it for most things, though digital certainly does others spectacularly well. Nothing beats 4x5 or larger for pure image quality. At least, nothing I can afford. In any case, rollfilm backs are nice to have when shooting large format. I use a 6x9 back, and it is nice to have something to shoot with once you run out of sheet film holders! Here are a few of my LF shots...to be honest, I left my camera in my other apartment (I switch between two countries), so I have not shot it for awhile, but nevertheless, I still enjoy it.

sinwen

I stopped LF a while ago. It was very enjoyable but I wont get back to it unless for a special project. I am probably too lazy to carry the all thing around, getting old want to make things easy :angel:

bensonga

Not much activity on this thread lately (thanks for starting it up again Sinwen).

How about some more large format images here?

I haven't done much lately....but this was shot in 2007 with an Ebony 45SU, Nikkor 210 and Fuji Provia 100. Scanned on an Epson V750. I think I might have posted it somewhere else on this forum.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

bensonga

Re: More fun with Large Format Film!

Not much activity on this thread lately (thanks for starting it up again Sinwen).

How about some more large format images here?

I haven't done much lately....but this was shot in 2007 with an Ebony 45SU, Nikkor 210 and Fuji Provia 100. Scanned on an Epson V750. I think I might have posted it somewhere else on this forum.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska
I think this thread deserves the proper name....to compete on an equal footing with MF Digital, Leica M Film, non-M Film etc etc. What do you think Jack and Guy?

Gary Benson (aka Pumpkin Head)
Eagle River, Alaska

One more to get it going....
Nicollet Mall and YWCA building
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Cambo 4x5

Last edited: