The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wollensak 75mm f1.9 lens?

durrIII

I have a very nice Wollensak Oscillo-Anastigmat 75mm f1.9 that I got with the purchase of a 4 x 5 view camera. What is it used for and how much should it sell for? Shutter works at all speeds, blades are clean and glass looks good.

Any help?

Thanks,
Durr

Oren Grad

As the name suggests, the lens was made for taking close-up pictures of oscilloscope screens. It's not useful for 4x5.

bensonga

Hi Durr. Now that Oren has told us about the lens.....tells about the 4x5 camera!

Getting back into film and large format? :)

Gary

JimCollum

useful is relative. lens doesn't have to be sharp to take interesting images. Take a look thru Jim Galli's site http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/ to see what can be done with 'throwaway' lenses (old meniscus, projector, etc lenses)

Shoot a few sheets at distance and close up, while wide open and see what you can do with it.

JimCollum

Jim Galli was kind enough to send it out to me to play around with. I put it on the front of my Ebony, and let the Betterlight rip

IR mode

color in the pet cemetery

b/w in the pet cemetery

V

Vivek

Fabulous stuff, Jim!:thumbs:

I appreciate your lovely contributions very much.:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
FWIW, the Oscillo lens may not cover 4x5 at infinity either, but as Jim points out, that doesn't make it not "useful" ... If it's cheap, buy it and make some art with it!

JimCollum

some more taken at the local rail yard (Roaring Camp) in Felton

so, get it mounted and show us some samples!! (mounting doesn't have to be fancy.. i usually use a lensboard with a hole large enough, then a lot of duct tape to keep it in place (these type of lenses seldom come with flanges)

Oren Grad

OK, it's useful, it's useful!

:eek: :salute:

Jim, those are the coolest oscilloscope screens I've ever seen, much more interesting than the ones I used to photograph on Polaroid in undergraduate physics lab ~30 years ago.

:)