The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bail Back handle for large format camera

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
I am curious to find out if anyone knows who developed or invented the Bail(or maybe its Bale) back handle for Large Format Cameras?

For those of you that might not know, the Bail/Bale back handle is a handle mounted on the rear holder of the ground glass area that works with a spring type set up and is hinged in the center of the back that the photographer pulls or swings to the center of the back to make inserting and removing a film holder. The purpose is to make it easier to insert the film holder and help keep from moving the camera once its focused, locked down, and in position ready to take the photograph.

Jason

MMPhoto

Hi Jason, My first Sinar model N had that handle on the 5x7 and 8x10 format back, that Sinar N was first introduce in the mid "50".

On the Sinar P or P2 they still had on the 5x7 and 8x10, on the 4x5 it had two little lever on each side of the ground glass, the Sinar P was introduce in the late "60".

I never saw it on other models.

Michel