The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another day another question LOL

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
I am hoping that either Jack or someone else can answer this question.

As I have mentioned, I a new to Large Format and I have been researching, reading, digesting, and learning.

I own a Zone VI camera and I am pretty comfortable with that so far.

Prior to buying the Zone VI, I purchased a Cambo SC2 which I still have. I had an adapter board made for the Cambo SC2 so I can just pop in the lens boards from my Zone VI and share the lenses. Now I am starting to also get interested in exploring 8x10.

Instead of buying another Camera, I am wondering if its possible to just change the Rear Standard of the SC2 and bellows of the Cambo SC2, use the same front standard, and make an 8x10 out of the SC2?

Jason

Oren Grad

It may be possible; we'll see if there are any Cambo experts around here.

Regardless, you also need to be sure you have a long enough rail - remember, a normal lens for 4x5 is 150mm, but a normal for 8x10 is 300mm - and enough rise on the front standard to be able to center the lens against the larger back and still have room for the movements you want.

Finally, even if it's possible in principle, sometimes it's easier to find and more cost-effective to buy a whole 8x10 camera than to assemble the pieces needed to adapt.

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
I was going to put a Bender 8X10 kit together I found but that deal fell through. I do already own a Nikon M 300mm F9 lens so I am pretty set there. I am looking for a very cheap 8x10 at the same time I am looking for the Cambo parts. I do know they sell an extension or an extended rail for the Cambo. I think that is the beauty of the Cambo system because depending on the camera, many accessories will fit different models.

Jason

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure on Cambo either. As Oren indicated, the big issue with converting up to larger formats is total rail length; usually 4x5 rails are not long enough. It's generally a much easier proposition to convert down, IOW get a 4x5 or 5x7 back for an 8x10 camera. But the reality is that I'd agree it's going to be more cost effective in the end to just get a dedicated 8x10 cam, especially in the current view cam market...

However, a lot of lensboards can be easily cross adapted, so at least you don't need to swap out boards for lenses that you already own that would cover 8x10.

ComicDom1

Subscriber Member
Jack, I talked to a guy at Calumet who has worked in their repair dept for 30 years. He told me all I would have to do is change the rear standard and the bellows. He also went on to suggest something similar to what you have said here. So I did take that into consideration. You will probably laugh at me but today I bid and won and auction on ebay for an old Century 2 8x10 wooden camera. When it gets here I will go through it and hopefully it will be in good enough condition that I do not have to return it to the seller. Of course it needs some cleaning up but if its functional it will turn out to be less than what it would have cost me to modify the Cambo.
Jason