The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

That's not a camera, THIS is a camera!

pfigen

While Benny Chan's self CAD designed 8x10 aerial camera isn't nearly as large as the two cameras pictured in this thread, it IS hand-holdable, and it's a beautiful piece in it's own right. Here are a couple of shots I took of Benny in action over L.A. - from a Jet Ranger to a Long Ranger. It's just a little weird to look out a hundred feet away and see one of your best friends hanging by a cord.

pfigen

Benny had a show at the Pasadena Museum for California Art a year ago that was six foot by eight foot Lightjet prints that were stunning. He had to shoot Portra 400 pushed in order to be able to use 1/500 and f/11-2/3, which was really the bare minimum to get acceptable corner sharpness on prints that large. When Benny is shooting, both he and the rig are tethered separately and there's an assistant to help with film holders. The camera was CNC milled out of a solid cubic foot of aircraft grade aluminum to a uniform 1/8" wall thickness and only has infinity fixed focus.

stephengilbert

He calls his snap shot camera a "Clyde-O-Wide." Clyde-O-Wide - 4x5This is a camera Clyde designed. It has no bellows, a fixed 38mm Super AngulonXL lens that has helical focus. He calls it his "snap-shot" camera. http://www.clydebutcher.com/technical-info.cfm

For people in the LA area, there are some of Clyde's large prints on display at the Annenberg Space for Photography in Century City. I think they'll be there for a few more months.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
He calls his snap shot camera a "Clyde-O-Wide." Clyde-O-Wide - 4x5This is a camera Clyde designed. It has no bellows, a fixed 38mm Super AngulonXL lens that has helical focus. He calls it his "snap-shot" camera. http://www.clydebutcher.com/technical-info.cfm

For people in the LA area, there are some of Clyde's large prints on display at the Annenberg Space for Photography in Century City. I think they'll be there for a few more months.
Tempts me to grow a beard.