The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Audi LeMans Turbo 4x5 Focus Stack

pfigen

I originally shot this for my client, Honeywell Turbo Technologies, on digital, but like the image so much I went out and bought a box of 4X5 T-Max100. I shot 20 sheets - two sheets each ten focus points, all at f/22-1/2, in order to get enough overlap. All ten images were drum scanned at 2667 ppi on the Howtek. I tried focus stacking in both PS CS5 and in Helicon Focus, and they both completely choked on the project. They made it through the process, but it looked like crap, so I ended up using the layers from the aligned layers version and manually blended them together. This eventually grew to be an 11 gig psb file. I've been working on it in my spare time off and on for a couple of months now. Starting to look sweet. To my mind, even this relatively lo-res jpeg jumps off the screen far better than the digital version could ever hope to. This is one of the two twin turbos out of the winning Audi car from this year's Le Mans race. They were sent back to California for rebuilding and modification. Honeywell/Garrett had me photograph them before sending them back to Germany. This was a simple two small soft-box setup on a white seamless in my studio.

pfigen

Thank you all for the compliments. it was strangely contemplative to shoot sheet film in the studio again. It had been several years, and the gears on one camera were gummed up, so it was the old Cambo to the rescue. What I really remember was just taking my time and not hurrying. It was a very satisfying way to work - something that is almost always missing from shooting digital, for some reason. Still, for commercial work, it's almost impossible to get clients to even wait two minutes for a Polaroid, let alone film processing and scanning. I've never stopped shooting film, but this project renewed my interest.

As to the smell - yeah, it's more a machine oil type of smell that you can't really ever get out of you olfactory system.