The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens hoods / shades for LF?

Leigh

What do folks use for hoods on LF field/view cameras?

Given the wide range of lens attachment sizes and angle of view, it would seem difficult to find suitable shading devices.

I'm thinking of using a compendium lens hood. But the ones I've seen attach to the camera body and might interfere with operation of the shutter controls. I'd be worried that a threaded adapter to hang the hood from the front of the lens would stress the lens itself and its support structure.

Any suggestions?

TIA

- Leigh

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

Leigh

Hi Bob,

That looks good. Much lighter than the compendium hoods.

And more comfortable than using my hat. :shocked:

Thanks much.

- Leigh

J

jeanba3000

When I had my old Century #2, I used my black focusing cloth. It's square, something like 1m20x1m20, and I just put it on the camera, attached under in front of the monoball head with a spring clip, and advance the cloth ahead the front of the camera enough to keep the lens in the shadow just before shooting.

Now I have an Arca Swiss with the compendium, it has a hinge to pull it up and let adjust the lens, then you put it back down, adjust it according to lens movements and shoot.

I still use the focusing cloth for lenses too big for the compendium such as my Aero Ektar 305.

FromJapan

Most compendium hoods that attach on to the camera body have hinges allowing them to be moved out of the way for adjusting the lens controls. They can also be tilted/swung to ensure proper positioning. Flare can come from different angles, not just the top - sand and light colored floors are just two examples. If space doesn't permit carrying a compendium, use at least something like the Sinar lens shades with the adjustable flaps. Hoods that fit onto the lens usually aren't suitable for LF cameras, since they will vignette if any significant movements are applied.

Kumar

Greg Lockrey

I use a rubber shade attached to a Kodak filter holder and step up rings for each lens diameter. If the shade is getting in the way, I just roll it back.