The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Chamonix universal bellows with 210mm lens

danielmoore

Can someone with a Chamonix 4x5 verify for me that there is an issue of using a 210mm lens and having the bellows sag into the image area? This is a problem I read of on the net only once and only with the universal bellows. I brought this up with Hugo Zhang and he offered to exchange the universal for the standard but no confirmation that a problem exists with this particular combination. The universal bellows is reported to work better with wide angle lenses so this complicates the decision.

photoSmart42

Not sure why the 210mm would be a special case, but I can tell you that I took a photo with full bellows extension the other day (front and rear), and had no bellows sag. Same with the 150. I have a 45N-2 with the universal bellows. Are you having an issue with bellows sag, or is it just something you've read about?

danielmoore

Just something I've read about, which I've consulted with Hugo Zhang regarding and he did not confirm or deny the claim but offered to ship a standard bellows instead of the universal one. I wanted to get to the bottom of it before my order was final.
The sag issue was noted here.

L

lilmsmaggie

Just something I've read about, which I've consulted with Hugo Zhang regarding and he did not confirm or deny the claim but offered to ship a standard bellows instead of the universal one. I wanted to get to the bottom of it before my order was final.
The sag issue was noted here.
Hi Daniel,

That post would be mine. I can confirm that my particular universal bellows that came with my Chamonix 45n-2 does in fact sag in the middle. I've had it happen on several different occassions. I've never mentioned it to Hugo.

I must note that I don't shoot 4x5 on a regular basis, so for me, it's just one of those small nusiance things that I've just learned to live with.

I had a chance to meet up with Hugo back in February at Joshua Tree but because of the weather, I missed him. It would have been nice to have him actually see the sag on my particular camera.

Hugo is very reasonable. I'm sure he will address any of you concerns.

Dwain (aka lilmsmaggie)

danielmoore

Thanks for the help Dwain. Having read of your issue at least helps me prevent it from spoiling any exposures. I'll have the camera in a few weeks and plan to replace the universal with a standard if necessary as the 210 is my most used lens.

pgmj

I have the 045n-1 with universal bellows and have had no trouble with my 210mm lens. It's not my most used lens though. I could test various focusing distances and see if the bellows cause any trouble. At approximately what focusing distance did you experience trouble with your 045n-2?