The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looky what I bought!

thrice

I know this sub-forum is a little slow paced, but I thought I should share my new toy. Cost me all of $195. Rated 9+ if you ignore the 6mm scratch on the rear element. It's a Zeiss 135/3.5 Planar.

If my maths isn't flawed, a 135/3.5 on 4x5 is equivalent to a 35/0.9 on 24x36mm (in FOV/DOF of course, not light gathering capability).

Godfrey

I know this sub-forum is a little slow paced, but I thought I should share my new toy. Cost me all of $195. Rated 9+ if you ignore the 6mm scratch on the rear element. It's a Zeiss 135/3.5 Planar.

If my maths isn't flawed, a 135/3.5 on 4x5 is equivalent to a 35/0.9 on 24x36mm (in FOV/DOF of course, not light gathering capability).
Lovely lens, I hope the rear element scratch doesn't degrade its performance too much (rear element scratches are much more significant than front element scratches, unfortunately).

I've never run DOF corresponding equivalent numbers between 35mm format and 4x5in format, but yes: 135mm on 4x5 renders approximately the 35mm FOV on 35mm Film format. I used a 135mm lens on my old Speed Graphic quite a lot in High School days, usually with flash and stopped down to f/8 or f/11 or so.

thrice

I had a 90mm APO-Summicron-R with 3 scratches all around 6mm on the rear element. They never affected images in the slightest. I think it depends largely on the angle of incidence the light leaves (or enters) the particular element. I would imagine a similar scratch would be much less evident in large format than 35mm since it is far less affected by diffraction.

I sincerely doubt (and will eat my hat if I'm wrong) that a 6mm scratch (unless it's 6mm deep) will affect IQ in any measurable way.

The dealer e-mailed today to say they tested the shutter and it's slightly off at slower speeds so they're going to get it CLA'd for free before sending to me :)

Godfrey

I had a 90mm APO-Summicron-R with 3 scratches all around 6mm on the rear element. They never affected images in the slightest. I think it depends largely on the angle of incidence the light leaves (or enters) the particular element. I would imagine a similar scratch would be much less evident in large format than 35mm since it is far less affected by diffraction.

I sincerely doubt (and will eat my hat if I'm wrong) that a 6mm scratch (unless it's 6mm deep) will affect IQ in any measurable way.

The dealer e-mailed today to say they tested the shutter and it's slightly off at slower speeds so they're going to get it CLA'd for free before sending to me :)
I hope you find that to be true. Remember your 90mm lens was a telephoto on its format, this is a wide on its format. It makes a difference.

It does sound like the vendor is being accommodating!

J

jamie123

Not exactly. A 135mm lens has the DoF of a 135mm lens. As for the FoV, I have compared the FoV of my 135mm lens with a zoom lens on my Canon SLR and the 135mm lens on 4x5 seems to have the same FoV as the Canon lens at 35mm IF you crop the latter to 4x5 aspect ratio. So it basically matches the 35mm focal length on the short side but on the long side it's more like 40mm. Hope that makes sense.

Godfrey

Not exactly. A 135mm lens has the DoF of a 135mm lens. As for the FoV, I have compared the FoV of my 135mm lens with a zoom lens on my Canon SLR and the 135mm lens on 4x5 seems to have the same FoV as the Canon lens at 35mm IF you crop the latter to 4x5 aspect ratio. So it basically matches the 35mm focal length on the short side but on the long side it's more like 40mm. Hope that makes sense.

Query Results

You submitted the following name/value pairs:
focal = 35
format = 24 x 36
Width = 24 mm, Length = 36 mm, Diagonal = 43.2666 mm
**f *Hor * * * Vert * * *Diag * * * H/V *
*35.0 54.4322 * 37.8493 * 63.4400 * *1.4381

Subject distance 10 ft
Depth of field @ f/1
Near limit 9.31 ft
Far limit 10.8 ft
Total 1.48 ft
In front of subject 0.69 ft (46%)
Behind subject 0.8 ft (54%)
Hyperfocal distance 134.1 ft

Query Results

You submitted the following name/value pairs:
focal = 135
format = 101.6 x 127
Width = 101.6 mm, Length = 127 mm, Diagonal = 162.639 mm
**f *Hor * * * Vert * * *Diag * * * H/V *
135.0 50.3818 * 41.2423 * 62.1268 * *1.2216

Subject distance 10 ft
Depth of field @ f/3.5
Near limit 9.49 ft
Far limit 10.6 ft
Total 1.08 ft
In front of subject 0.51 ft (47%)
Behind subject 0.57 ft (53%)
Hyperfocal distance 178.2 ft

Numbers from Rui's FoV calculator and DOFMaster.
Not exact, but pretty close. :)

thrice

Gosh it arrived a little uglier than expected, scratches on front and rear elements and fungus inside and on the shutter!

I have fully disassembled and cleaned all lens surfaces and the shutter blades, looks very sexy now provided light on the front element isn't too bright :)

Anyone have any advice on how to mount filters on this thing? It has threads quite deep inside the front barrel which I assume are 58mm but I can't get a B+W 58mm filter in there. my current theory is a 62-67 step-up and some rubber bands.

yatlee

Get a same size Hoya filter and remove the glass. Put any filter on top of it. With this, you can still use a hood which is quite important with this lens.

thrice

I have a 62-67 step up on it's way :) along with the new Nano-coated B+W :p which no doubt will go to a more diffraction limited lens, but at least I get the good filter.