The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

large format vs. digital back on Tech camera

Paratom

Well done, a 4x5 Technika is a great choice.

Do not underestimate yourself, processing 4x5 B&W is easy at home in a daylight tank (no more difficult than 35mm) and an Epson V700 is all you need for scanning to get superb quality images. You can then either get a good printer or send your scanned files off for printing. One big advantage of keeping it all 'in house' is that any mistakes (and there will be some) can all be traced to one source! Good luck.

Steve
There is some temptation to develop myself.
I am also considering shooting some polaroids specially in the beginning to learn the basics of LF photography.

Paratom

Do you have the processor to use that first or second drum with? Which processor do you have?
I dont have anything...yet. I thought I could turn those with my hands like I did 25 years ago when developing some 35mm films? Sorry for my non existing knowledge. LF is totally new for me.

Professional

I dont have anything...yet. I thought I could turn those with my hands like I did 25 years ago when developing some 35mm films? Sorry for my non existing knowledge. LF is totally new for me.
Not with those, you need another tanks, if you want i can tell the methods of which to process 4x5 and you can choose, i don't know them all but i know most, i have 4 of them and i did test only one, will try the another one sooner or later i hope.

I am new to LF too even i did shoot only 5 sheets ever.

DDudenbostel

I recently sold my Jobo and kept my LF tanks. I now use a uniroller or beseler roller with the jobo tanks and it works just as well. I found the Jobo fantastic but got tired of setting it up, cleaning it and the storage space.

I have and use a combiplan daylight tank with excellent results. In the US it's sold by H P Marketing the Linhof distributor. It's very small, easy to use, very well designed, very inexpensive and have never had streaks, agitation marks or other issues. It works with 4x5 and smaller sheets and holds 6 sheets.

One of these Mod54's and a paterson reel tank might help.

Also remember that sharpening scans is very different to digital. Be more aggressive but avoid sharpening the grain by adjusting the radius.

Last edited: