The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Viewfinder/filter for previsualizing B&W

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not sure where to ask this but this seems like a likely place where someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a brown filter/loupe for pre visualizing monochrome images and I know what it is but for the life of me cannot remember the name (having a a senior moment). It's a brown filter, typically 4:5 ratio in a disc or frame that helps you see a mono image. I've been wracking my mind trying to remember the name & various google searches but to no avail ... I've searched at places like Badger Graphics etc etc but I'm just missing the right terms to find it I think. I'm sure once someone tells me I'll have that DOH! Moment because I'm sure it's obvious.

Can someone point me in the right direction or give me the magic search keyword?

Thanks in advance.

Greg Lockrey

Wratten #90 viewing filter. It's a dirty brown-green or olive color. The trick to using it is to momentarily place in front of the eye, read the scene before your eye becomes accustomed to the color.

Greg Lockrey

You're very welcome.... I had to break out my 1981 copy of "the Negative". I'm an old coot too. :thumbup: I have one but the Wratten # is under my homemade 4x5 holder.