The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Eastman 2-D -- what now?

F

folville

I just came upon an Eastman 2-D. It was my great-grandfather's, and it's in great shape. I've never shot large format before, so what do I need to know?

It's a full suitcase-style kit with tripod, film holders, flash, etc. It's a 5x7 with a Wollensak Velostigmat Series II F4.5 Focus 7 1/4" (see image No. 3 below) and a Wollensak Velostigmat Series III Wide Angle F9.5 (image No. 4 below).

The 7 1/4" lens doesn't have the same sort of shutter speed selector switch as the wide angle lens. It doesn't appear to be broken off or missing, rather it looks like it never had one.

Also, what is the metal contraption in image 5?

Thanks for any help, and I can't wait to post some photos.

Photos:

Last edited:

JimCollum

great camera and *great* lens (if you like the vintage portrait look)
i'm in the middle of remaking a 8x10 2D. i have a 'beater' that has all the hardware. going to remove the hardware and re-tool the wood parts from scratch.. probably be in cherry. Once the project gets underway, i'll post a link to a blog documenting the process.

it should be pretty easy to track down a box of b/w 5x7" film if you ask over the the LF forum

good luck!!!

jim

F

folville

Jim, that sounds like a great project -- I'd be really keen to see progress photos.