The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

sinar f2 8x10 for field work?

robertwright

any opinions on a sinar f2 8x10 for field portrait work?

I've looked around a lot on ebay and there are so many sinars and so many spare parts, rails, etc that it seems like it would be well supported, or if I wanted to convert to 4x5 just get another rear standard

looking to collapse it on a 6" standard, leave the rail clamp on the tripod and pack it in a lowe pro backpack. I'm guessing it's twenty lbs plus holders. (not insignificant I know)

for comparison I'm used to the tenba shoulder bag 676 with RZ, two lenses, mamiya7 and turbo bat/flash combo. Can't be that much worse right ? :ROTFL:

considerations are cost getting in since I might get stuck with it if 8x10 goes dodo. then the conversion option is a safety valve.

in another thread jack mentioned arca swiss- as rare as hens teeth I'm afraid on ebay and new, fugghetaboutit. looks like half the weight but I'm hoping the sinar f is somewhat lighter since it has less geared movements.

Oren Grad

Excellent, modular, very adaptable system camera. Good value for money in today's market. Way more than I'd want to carry in the field - for me, an 8x10 Sinar is strictly for home/studio use, a lightweight wooden field camera is for carrying 8x10 around. But you're buying for you, not for me.

If you go for it, make sure you get one with the proper heavy-duty 8x10 standards, not a half-baked adapted 4x5. More here:

4x5 Sinar f2 to 8x10, what is needed?

robertwright

Ya it looks like the once I was watching has a 45 front standard which according to that thread you linked is common.

however movements are not really an issue and I don't anticipate hanging a really heavy lens off the front, more like 240-300 for environmental portraiture.

thanks for the link and advice got me thinking.

Oren Grad

BTW, if you're estimating weight, figure about 22 oz for each 8x10 Fidelity, plus 2 pounds, give or take, for a modern 240 or 300 f/5.6 plasmat in Copal 3. You can cut the lens weight by more than half with a 240 or 300 f/9 lens in Copal 1 if you can live with the darker view and don't have any particular preferences for image rendering that require one of the big plasmats.

georgl

I use an older f-series with geared back. It's popular on Ebay and quite cheap - but IMHO it's just a poor replacement while I'm waiting for the Ebony... But is a 40 year old wooden field camera (Deardorff, Kodak) in a comparable price range really an alternative? I doubt that.
It will be difficult fitting it into the bag, it's heavy and not as rigid as you would expect (stupid plastic parts, my front already broke off).
So, you can use it as a starting point but in the long run, you will have to invest into a better camera - otherwise 8x10 becomes too cumbersome.

robertwright

its hard comparing 2000 for a shen hao or tachi or 3000 for a cham to sub 1000 for a sinar f. But I would have thought the f series a little more rugged than what oren is describing.

I've used a ddorf and found them wobbly. Perhaps the one I was using.

Oren Grad

But I would have thought the f series a little more rugged than what oren is describing.
What georgl was describing. ;)

IMO the Sinar f1 is a bit fragile, specifically in the clamp that holds the front standard to the rail, but the f2 and p series cameras seem pretty rugged. I don't know about the older plain f camera.

As for rigidity, which is a different question: for practical purposes, in typical uses with a 240 or 300, I don't think my Sinar p gains much if anything over my Phillips field cameras - which, granted, are about as good as a field camera gets in that respect. Yes, Phillips cameras are unobtainium these days, but there are other field cameras that do well too.

Many Deardorffs that you'll find on the market now are heavily worn. Your experience with one isn't necessarily representative of what a field camera can be.

RodK

Have you looked at an Arca-Swiss 8x10 or 4x5. We make conversion kits, which are also available used. We have a better focus screen and the camera in 8x10 is onlt 10 lbs in the older 171 series or abot 9 in the newer 141 series.
It collapses onto a 15cm(6") piece of rail for compact back packing.
They are around used. New will be a while.
Rod

robertwright

I've been watching ebay for a while now and have not seen any used arca swiss except in europe and japan, which means duty.

There are older models, the c, but always in 4x5.

is there an upgrade path from an older camera like this to convert it to 8x10?

There is an F line 4x5 for 1995 on ebay right now for example, but what is conversion cost?

Shooter

I bought a new Sinar F1 4x5 years ago and found it clumsy and difficult to trust. After a few months of frustration I bought a new P2 outfit and it was like night and day. The P2 is solid, accurately adjustable, a fine precision photographic tool. The lighter weight and less expensive price tag lured me to the F model, it was a mistake.

I'm in the process of selling off all my Sinar gear and Schneider/Rodenstock lenses as well as film holders and accessories. I've been 100% digital for seven or eight years.