The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smaller alternative to 4x5"?

bensonga

Lars...the description of the SW23 on the Ebony site says "Roll film holders may be removed without dismounting focusing screen." Could you describe how this works?

I have a Horseman 6x12cm roll film holder for my 4x5, but I have to remove the Graflok back when I want to put the film holder on, which is inconvenient.

The Ebony is a beautiful camera, no doubt about it. I have the 45SU.

Gary

micek

Gary, there is a hinge that holds the focusing screen frame and the back standard together, so once you have focused you can swing the ground glass aside, much like opening a window.

Oren Grad

Gary, there is a hinge that holds the focusing screen frame and the back standard together, so once you have focused you can swing the ground glass aside, much like opening a window.
Yes. You can also get from Ebony a version of this that will fit any 4x5 camera with a Graflok back, and allow 2x3 rollholders to be used in this way on 4x5 cameras. I have one of these - it's very handy.

The one drawback, which won't matter for most users, is that the swing-out GG is not a spring back, and so is not compatible with cut sheet film holders - you can only use it with rollholders. I do have some 2x3 cut sheet holders, which I use once in a blue moon with my Horseman VH/VH-R.

Also: this is not compatible with rollholders (including 6x12) which are built with a Graflok plate to fit 4x5 cameras, only with "baby Graflok"-type rollholders designed to be used directly on 2x3 cameras.

bensonga

Thanks for the description and details Micek and Oren! I will have to give this some serious thought now. :)

Gary

Lars

Can a 1 series really hold a camera like that Lars? I'm astounded!
It's lighter than a pro SLR with a pro lens. SW23 is for lenses superwide to moderate tele. The mass is fairly well centered. Add good tripod technique, an air cable release, avoid strong winds and it's not a problem.

Of course with a bigger tripod you can be more sloppy, work a little faster.

The real challenge for me has been when doing stitched 6x17, then a big heavy tripod helps to avoid nudging the tripod.

Pierrard

I'm in a similar position to the OP here - but much less familiar with film cameras: do 2x3" cameras use 120 film?

tjv

Yes, 120 film usually within roll film backs. Some cameras may use cut sheets in holders.
I love using these types of cameras, especially using movements and careful composition on the ground glass. In a great proportion of situations I think 2x3" resolves on par with 4x5" because it's easier to keep the equipment stable and the lenses I've used on the smaller format tend to be better. Need to get this stuff sorted asap as today I parted with a truck load of money for processing four months worth of sheet film... My credit card is going to catch fire!

DDudenbostel

I just sold my Technika V 2x3 and owned a Technika 70 in the 70's. Fabulous cameras. The Technika I just sold was one of the models without a the RF. Last year I purchased a Technikardan 23 to use with my digital back and film. The Technikardan is very versatile and can be used with lenses from 35 to a 360mm Tele like the Nikkor T. I use it mainly with a 35 Apo Sinaron Digital, 47 XL, 58 XL, 120 Nikkor macro and 150 G Claron. It's the ultimate in this kind of portable field camera.

There's a Technikardan 23s in the Large Format Forums classifieds. One great feature. S the Technika V is the Technikardan used standard and recessed Technika boards.

georgl

Why not get a Jobo ATL-1000/1500 and develop youself? It's compact, easy to handle (not more difficult than loading in film-holders)?

I think when stepping down from 4x5" to 6x9 (which is an entirely different experience you would need newer lenses (some longer digitars and digaron-w cover 6x9) because the enlargements are bigger and a huge quality loss would immediately ruin the 6x9 experience, IMHO.