The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital lenses for 6x9 (Hopefully 6x12) films!

mob81

I just want to know, If I use Tech pan like films with Digital lens, will I be getting improvement in resolution and sharpness? Assuming high-end scanner is used to it's full potential!

Because I know few digital lenses will cover 6x9 but I don't know any (in 75mm-135mm range) that will cover 6X12

Any suggestion will be much appreciated

Regards,
Mohammed

RodK

This would require a much more precise method of focusing than we have in the past used with film. As these films, techpan etc, are very thin, they are also more prone to buckling or a loss in flatness, depending on the camera. 120 films in the past had a slight curl at the edge to help with light trap on spool. But this requires a stiffer, thicker substrata than Techpan had. In 4x5 we could cover the buckling, flatness issues with depth of focus which is increased by stopping down. However, digital lenses are really more optimized to be used at 1-2 or 2.5 stops down from wide open for best quality.
Film lenses were optimized at 2 + stops for standard and longer focal lengths, while wide angle lenses were best at least 3 stops down from wide open.
The 55mm Apo-Grandagon from Rodenstock will work and it is similar in design to the 55mm Apo-Sironar Digital. The Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S 100mm, 135mm, and 150mm will also do a great job, and have digital uses as well.
Rod

250swb

Will I gain resolution and sharpness from the digital lenses
What do you mean by a 'digital' lens?

If you mean a lens specifically designed for a digital camera, perhaps a DSLR, then I can't see why it would make an image that is sharper than a conventional large format lens. Indeed given the same focal length it may have even less coverage than a conventional lens because modern 'digital' lenses are moving more towards telecentric designs.

Steve

mob81

There are lenses from rodenstock (digital lenses) like some apo sironar digital that would cover 6x9 and with some movement too. Those that were my concern, if it well yield better resolution with films like (tech pan)....I'm not planing on buying right now, but just wondering!