The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travelwide 4x5 camera

250swb

I think it's an exciting idea, as did enough people to not only reach the target but go well over it. I pledged for the 65mm version.Can't wait for it to arrive.

Steve

HeavyDuty

I had a chance to play with one of the preproduction 90mm versions two weekends ago. It's a winner - I'm in for one of each.

viablex1

The Travelwide 65 reuses the body of the Travelwide 90, but instead of a helical focus, the focus is fixed at a very nice hyper-focal distance.

250swb

Yes, set at a comfortable hyper focal distance at a particular aperture, but that doesn't mean you can't use the facts available to adjust the hyperfocal focus depth by altering the aperture. It is a 65mm lens, so while it's a wide lens on a 4x5 the actual DOF available at each aperture isn't going to be as dramatic as the 21mm field of view equivalent lens on 35mm. So the aperture used and the subject distance will make a more dramatic difference to the overall area in focus than simply setting a 35mm lens at f/8 where the hyperfocal distance is something like 3 feet to infinity. This assumes that the Travelwide camera and lens combination hasn't be optimised for infinity at f/8, but is a much closer usable distance.

Steve

viablex1

this is interesting and I am thinking of fotoman but isn't that contingent on actually moving the rear element closer to the film plane? I mean you only get so much and I am not sure of the aperture it is optimized for but 24 feet seems like a long way away, I use my fotoman for about 7 feet to infinity at f32 but it does have a helical focus mount to actually move the lens.