The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

scho

Maple, Fern, & Myrtle. Tachihara 4x5, Rodenstock APO Sironar-S 135mm f/5.6, Polaroid Type 55 negative. Down to my last box of type 55.

Zoomify Image

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I saw this image and something clicked. Is it the same subject that Jack used in his essay for Outback photo for tilt/shift technique??

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_42/essay.html

Just trivia, but strange that i would have remembered this so well LOL.

Diane
Hi Dianne:

It is indeed the same location and similar shooting position.

For those interested, that is a walkway in the Alviso area of the SF Bay wildlife refuge. The "gates" were added to replicate the gates used in the old harbor that used to reside there. Due to environmental restrictions, harbor dredging was halted in the 70's I think, and several of the boat harbors along the South end of the bay filled in and turned into marshlands. They of course then went broke, could not be sold and were "turned over" to the government.

Lars

For those interested, that is a walkway in the Alviso area of the SF Bay wildlife refuge. The "gates" were added to replicate the gates used in the old harbor that used to reside there. Due to environmental restrictions, harbor dredging was halted in the 70's I think, and several of the boat harbors along the South end of the bay filled in and turned into marshlands. They of course then went broke, could not be sold and were "turned over" to the government.
This must be near Drawbridge? Some years ago (-95?) I went on a photography walk in Drawbridge an early Sunday morning. The morning fog was heavy, all that was visible were the railroad tracks, the marshlands, and the decayed wood building, all in the middle of the south bay.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lars:

Yes, Drawbridge is a ghost town that is now flooded by marsh tides. It lies on the railroad tracks half-way between Alviso (where the above harbor is) and Fremont.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Nevada. 4x5. 135mm. Just printed it as a 16"x20" palladium print this evening.
I like this one a lot. Only nit is I would like to see just a wee bit more room on the RH edge, but the discomfort of that close edge may be why it moves me ;)

Jeremy

Working on a new project where I'm looking at perception and following in the footsteps of Merleau-Ponty. Initial shot is on 4x5, second shot is on 8x10. I'm thinking of printing the series with both images at 8"x10" in palladium and putting them in the same mat.

Francois_A

Congratulations, you got one! Hope it works out well for you. And cool experiments BTW.

Rob
Thanks Rob!
I got a 6K-HS from ebay for a good price.

I like the the subdued colours one gets when it is used without filter. This is something that has grown on me after seeing Jim Collum's images.

At first, I thought I would avoid situations where there is any movements, but now, I realize it is a different way, with its particular aesthetics, of recording the passage of time.

Francois

JimCollum

Thanks Rob!
I got a 6K-HS from ebay for a good price.

I like the the subdued colours one gets when it is used without filter. This is something that has grown on me after seeing Jim Collum's images.

At first, I thought I would avoid situations where there is any movements, but now, I realize it is a different way, with its particular aesthetics, of recording the passage of time.

Francois
thank you for the compliment!

and yes... there's nothing any more 'real' about blurred/foggy long exposure water vs. the wave action from a scanning back.... as you said. both are artifacts of time

Jeremy

I'm jealous! I only have access to the massive files of the 8k, but would prefer the speed of the 6k. Then again, I think I just need to come up with a still life project for the 8k....