The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Francois_A

Some more tests with the Betterlight using a Schneider 47 XL.
First one without any filter; second one with a Lee 87 infrared filter. I was shooting through a window, so there are some reflections. I have yet to muster the courage to venture outside with all that equipment! ;)

AlexLF

Well, I'd like to add to this thread since I'm really enjoying large format photography even having Nikon D3x. I use Linhof Techikardan 45S and Rodenstock lenses.

routlaw

Some more tests with the Betterlight using a Schneider 47 XL.
First one without any filter; second one with a Lee 87 infrared filter...
I prefer the second one Francois FWIW. Nice work either way.

Alex nice work too.

Been to busy this summer to get in the field with the BL, but here is one I did a couple months ago using the infrared approach.

Last edited:

donbga

Just a few digitally toned for faux VDB with the Dan Burkholder method.

This is the Cable-Greg home in the Cades Cove section of the Smokies. Section of a 4x5 negative shot on the old TMAX 400 emulsion developed in pyro cat.

Final inkjet print size ~ 9.5x36 printed with QTR. Even extremely experienced alt printers think the inkjet print is a palladium print. :)

Don Bryant

donbga

Here is a section of an 8x10 negative. Final print as a cropped contact print with palladium. Faux VDB tone again. Part of series shot on Sappelo Is. Ga of the RJ Reynolds Plantation.

Original exposure made with a rickety old Folmer-Schwing 8x10 on the old TRI-X emulsion developed in pyrocat.

Don

donbga

Last contribution. This is an iconic funerary statue found in Laural Grove cemetery, Savannah, GA. Made with a Wisner 4x5 Tradtional on the old TMAX 400 emulsion - pyrocat developed. Final prints range from silver gelatin, palladium, VDB, cyanotype and inkjet print. This negative is relatively easy to print but does require some careful burning to achieve the proper shadow rendering. The highlights just need the correct contrast and exposure. Faux digital toning once again.

Don

AlexLF

I prefer the second one Francois FWIW. Nice work either way.

Alex nice work too.

Been to busy this summer to get in the field with the BL, but here is one I did a couple months ago using the infrared approach.
I love this one!!!

routlaw

A few from my trip to Zion with Betterlight Super 6K-HS & Zone VI field camera.

Thanks for looking.

Rob

Last edited:

Francois_A

Very nice images Rob!
The dynamic range of the scanning back is amazing.
I wish I could see them printed 24"x30"; the details must be incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

Francois

routlaw

Very nice images Rob!
The dynamic range of the scanning back is amazing.
I wish I could see them printed 24"x30"; the details must be incredible.

Thanks for sharing.

Francois
Thanks Francois really appreciate that!

Yes there is nothing quite like the scanning back for dynamic range. I used a modified 10 stop S curve that is actually a bit more extended and somewhat flatter than the 10-S curve due to the extreme lighting conditions within the canyons. When you get it right the details really are amazing too and its not just the resolution detail either but also the hue and values within the scene. I will post a few 100% details to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Rob

routlaw

Francois

Here are a couple of 100% pixel crops. The crop from the sunset image was scanned at only 50% of the maximum resolution, the other crop is from the upper right hand corner of the vertical early afternoon image from a 100% resolution scan. The systems image quality if really sick and twisted. :D

Rob

Last edited:

Lloyd

Francois

Here are a couple of 100% pixel crops. The crop from the sunset image was scanned at only 50% of the maximum resolution, the other crop is from the upper right hand corner of the vertical early afternoon image from a 100% resolution scan. The systems image quality if really sick and twisted. :D

Rob
Sick and twisted indeed. And the shots on your website from this trip are as well! I can only imagine how great a large print must look!

routlaw

Sick and twisted indeed. And the shots on your website from this trip are as well! I can only imagine how great a large print must look!
Lloyd one of the amazing things about the system in regards to the 50% resolution scans is the file size is the rough equivalent of our Nikon D3's give or take a handful of pixels. Suffice it to say I have never seen this sort of image quality on a 12 mp camera. The detail of the sunset image was with a Rodenstock Sironar S 135 APO lens @ F11, ISO 600+ @ 50% for about 2.5 minute scan. I was sweating bullets that nothing moved during the scan. :eek:

Rob