The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

JimCollum

Ebony, Betterlight, Holmes, Booth & Haydens 6" Petzval lens
This month's shooting is all about the 'neighborhood'. No fences here between homes.. and some are more 'rustic' than others

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This was one of the last LF frames I took. 8x10 using a Cooke triple at the 311 length using Vericolor Neg IIRC, facing West just after sunset. This was in Salton Sea, CA and where our next workshop is being held:

Here's another one, but cropped to pano format. IIRC, this was taken with a Computar 210 on Astia, facing West just at sunrise:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here's another one, but cropped to pano format. IIRC, this was taken with a Computar 210 on Astia, facing West just at sunrise:

That is a great pano , Jack .
Just the type i am looking for , for my forum calendar plans for 2012/13 .

I took a screen shot and removed the magenta cast from the sky and the mountains . Not perfect , but good enough for a quick jpg screen shot . Looks great .
View attachment 26432
Thanks for sharing .
Jürgen

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
:)... That "magenta cast" was real --- it is fairly common to get a magenta to blue sky gradient during early morning and evening light in the desert. You'll notice it's only in the sky, and not on the trees or building...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
:)... That "magenta cast" was real --- it is fairly common to get a magenta to blue sky gradient during early morning and evening light in the desert. You'll notice it's only in the sky, and not on the trees or building...
OK Jack

So I will put the cast back in again .:)
Thanks for the info .
Jürgen

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That's okay --- would have been nice if there were some clouds in the sky to go bright pink too ;)

M

Mathijs

Here's one of my latest. A little while ago already, I need to do 4x5" more... Fuji 160 NPS, beaten up Busch Pressman D, Angulon 90/6.8. No miracles, but it does the job. Comments welcome!

donbga

Here's one of my latest. A little while ago already, I need to do 4x5" more... Fuji 160 NPS, beaten up Busch Pressman D, Angulon 90/6.8. No miracles, but it does the job. Comments welcome!
That's a sweet little photo. Who is in the tree? What was the location - Gulf Coast?

Don

M

Mathijs

That's a sweet little photo. Who is in the tree? What was the location - Gulf Coast?

Don
Gulf coast? I wish! This is in near Utrecht, the Netherlands, it's not your average sight, sadly. The person in a friend I asked to pose for me. If I ever get to printing this on 20x24" you'd be able to see she's writing in her journal..

Yuri

I welcome all. Approximately one year ago, I began to shoot in landscape at 9x12, see Technical questions I have not bothered you before, I had operational experience in technical photography, including with the use of LF. Landscape for my new employment, so your comments will be very useful for me. Linhof Technica, SA65, f19, 1 / 30, Film E100G. Miass River, Southern Ural Mountains, Russia.

Lloyd

I welcome all. Approximately one year ago, I began to shoot in landscape at 9x12, see Technical questions I have not bothered you before, I had operational experience in technical photography, including with the use of LF. Landscape for my new employment, so your comments will be very useful for me. Linhof Technica, SA65, f19, 1 / 30, Film E100G. Miass River, Southern Ural Mountains, Russia.
I can't help with any technical comments, but I know a beautiful image when I see one, and this is certainly beautiful.

Lars

Hi Yuri, Great image but you knew that of course :)

Assuming this is late afternoon, I think an interesting variation would have been to make another exposure 30-60 min later, to get even more glow from the white canyon wall, as well as more pronounced shadows from the trees to the right.

Colors look a bit strong for E100G - is this a straight scan or modified WRT color and contrast?

Yuri

Thank you Lloyd and Lars! For me Your words are a big score. Yes Lars course you are right you can wait 30-40 minutes, but after 60 minutes of the walls of the canyon is covered by shadow, including the trees on the right. Also I wanted to keep the texture in the foreground and the shades of shrubs right after they'd lost in the shadows. Contrast the scene is very high I could not even put it in the breadth of E100G-bottom right corner, possibly due to lack center-filter. Lars is the saturation curves of channels in the LAB, again failed to meet the breadth of the film can play as Velvia.

Lars

Oh - no center filter. That's a problem with a 65 and slide film. I think that's the technical advice I would give - get a center filter if you can, and also try to use ND grads to balance dynamic range when appropriate.

Yes, LAB saturation boost, now that you mention it it's obvious in the blues-yellows.

routlaw

Thank you Lloyd and Lars! For me Your words are a big score. Yes Lars course you are right you can wait 30-40 minutes, but after 60 minutes of the walls of the canyon is covered by shadow, including the trees on the right. Also I wanted to keep the texture in the foreground and the shades of shrubs right after they'd lost in the shadows. Contrast the scene is very high I could not even put it in the breadth of E100G-bottom right corner, possibly due to lack center-filter. Lars is the saturation curves of channels in the LAB, again failed to meet the breadth of the film can play as Velvia.
Yuri, I like the image as is. But you are correct working with transparency film in these contrasty lighting conditions most assuredly pushes the envelop of what is obtainable from deep shadow to highlight. Regarding the use of Lab mode, a little goes a long with this that tool.

Welcome to the forum!

Rob

Yuri

Yes Lars center-filter uncompromising solution to this problem when you shoot obtained failures in the shadows of the gradients will not help.

Yuri

Роб спасибо.Общение в форуме доставляет мне большое удовольствие и конечно весьма полезно для моего творчества. Ранее я задумывался о приобретении центр-фильтра и Lee ND 0.6;0,9 сейчас необходимость назрела.