The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Fun with Large Format Film Images!

Yuri

Thanks Rob. Dialogue in a forum delivers me a great pleasure and certainly it is rather useful for my creativity. Earlier I reflected on acquisition of the centre-filter and Lee ND 0.6; 0.9 now necessity has ripened.

Tex

Subscriber Member
Yuri, if available, buy color negative film and your latitude problems will be solved (most of the time). Portra160NC/VC are fabulous films.

Yuri

Tex. I love Portra 160 in MF when it is not necessary the big increase. The high density of a filter layer and non-uniform high granularity does not arrange in it a filter layer that badly approaches for scanning. Very much it is pleasant to me Portra 160 shown in developer with ЦПВ-1 still the Soviet manufacture. Thus granularity strongly increases, and colours are transferred in style of a retro very pleasant warm colours sometimes it pertinently.

carstenw

Jim,
Lovely Images.
Angkor Wat is on my get there before I die list.
-bob
Late reply: go soon, they have started clearing the rubble and cutting down the trees in places. They want to make it more suitable for tourists. I think they don't quite realize that the rubble and the trees is what makes it worth going all the way out there.

carstenw

This was one of the last LF frames I took. 8x10 using a Cooke triple at the 311 length using Vericolor Neg IIRC, facing West just after sunset. This was in Salton Sea, CA and where our next workshop is being held:

I love that shot, Jack. Is that the XVa you mean?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Carsten!

Yes, this shot was taken with XVa, both elements mounted, 311mm configuration. As I recall it was a 2 minute exposure at f32 on Vericolor III.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I find myself wishing that 8x10" didn't exist :)
Well... With the loss of readyloads in 4x5, it's precisely the reason I said if I ever got back into shooting LF film, I would go for a 5x7 camera --- most lenses for 4x5 will cover 5x7, the cameras are still relatively light-weight and compact, yet you have 2x the negative area to play with. Of course 8x10 is another 2x of area over 5x7, but now you're talking much larger and heavier, and a whole new set of glass :D

carstenw

Jack, I must say that you have owned a stunning amount of top-gear equipment, like Lotus, Ebony, Phase, Rodenstock and Schneider, and often some of the very most desirable of the pieces. Either you have managed your money extremely well, or you are married to a dealer!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Carsten, while I have indeed owned a lot of the best photo gear available, I've never owned all of it at the same time! LOLOLOLOL Bottom line is it's all been the exact same money, just moved around as I moved between systems ;)

carstenw

Nonetheless, I took a look at the Lotus and Ebony cameras yesterday, with an eye on the future, and it seems that for me this is the distant future :) I have not managed my money as well as I should have, and somehow tend to take a small loss on every transaction.

I bought 50 sheets of Adox CHS 100 (Efke) and 50 sheets of Tri-X 320 today, as well as sleeves to hold them, and binders to hold the sleeves. All that is missing is a camera, and some way of developing. Getting closer...

By the way, I noticed at some point that the Large Format Camera forum is in the digital section, but most of the posts are about film?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
By the way, I noticed at some point that the Large Format Camera forum is in the digital section, but most of the posts are about film?
We aren't that anal here and tend to try and keep things arranged in simple, yet reasonably organized fashions ;). And some folks do use their LF camera with the betterlight scanning back and even MF backs.

carstenw

We aren't that anal here and tend to try and keep things arranged in simple, yet reasonably organized fashions ;). And some folks do use their LF camera with the betterlight scanning back and even MF backs.
Great, I prefer it loose like this too. The LF folk are all hanging out here anyway, not in the film forum, even if almost all of them are actually shooting film.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The film forum was a catch all for other cameras that didn't have a place -- as well as a place to talk about the differences in film capture techniques. Anyway, LF cameras clearly crosses over, and I think everybody's figured out that we pretty much don't care where you talk about what as long as it makes some sort of sense :)

bensonga

Those are really impressive images Jeremy. Beautiful tonality, textures and detail. I should not be looking at these. I can barely manage with a 4x5 camera.

Gary

Last edited: